Talk

Advanced search

Alternatives to Clomid?

(6 Posts)
BFQi Mon 20-Jul-09 20:32:19

After two early miscarriages and well over a year of fruitless trying for a 2nd child, my gynaecologist has recommended I try Clomid.

I'm scared by the prospect tbh, though willing to give it a go - but I'm wondering whether there might be a herbal alternative that would be effective enough to get my cycle sorted out again.

It's not clear whether I'm ovulating at all at the moment. I have a long cycle (34ish days) with some PMT, but no other problems identified so far. I'm 34 and conceived my DS at 29 (after 6 cycles) and my other two pregnancies at 32 (after 5 and 2 cycles). I lead a fairly healthy lifestyle and have been having an acupuncture-type treatment semi-regularly for months now, which I feel better for, but it hasn't had the one effect we were most hoping for

Would be really grateful for any suggestions.

BFQi Tue 21-Jul-09 08:29:06

If I bump my own thread, does that get it out of "unanswered messages"? It was sitting there by one called "Healthy chicken not laying" and it felt a bit too close to the bone!

Mouette Tue 21-Jul-09 11:41:14

Hi BFQi
Not aware of any herbal remedies (they can be dangerous), I was treated for anovulatory PCOS and went down the surgery route - it is an alternative to Clomid and certainly worked for me but probably not something you'd consider! If you really don't ovulate at all then drugs or surgery are probably the best option; however I think you should do some blood tests (your GP can refer you) to discover whether you do ovulate or not. If you do, and it's just that your cycles are irregular, you could use ovulation kits to find out the right time to have sex. A recent study showed that couples with low fertility that had sex at the right time had just the same chance of conceiving as similar couples treated with Clomid. Good luck xx

BFQi Wed 22-Jul-09 23:10:06

Thanks a lot, Mouette.
I've had some blood tests and they're as inconclusive as the scans I've had, in terms of pinpointing whether or not I'm ovulating.
I'm 99% sure I'll go with the Clomid. Just getting my drug-phobic head round it

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 23-Jul-09 07:16:37

Don't use the herbal stuff; infact Agnus Castus can make hormonal problems worse in some cases.

Have you had your LH and FSH levels tested at all?. These two hormone levels are important as they kickstart the whole ovulation process; if those levels are awry then periods can and do get very irregular indeed.

What you also need first and foremost is a diagnosis of the underlying problem. Clomid is all well and good but its quite powerful stuff and not suitable for all to take and you should be monitored whilst on it.

Has your been tested to date, if not he should be as a matter of course.

Mouette Thu 23-Jul-09 11:22:52

Hi BFQi
I believe you have made the right decision. I would have gone with Clomid too if I hadn't needed surgery for something else. Clomid is quite an old drug, I believe it is quite safe if taken according to the doctor's instructions. There are plenty of success stories out there, and Mumsnet has quite a few threads with people ttc with Clomid. Best of luck!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now