Talk

Advanced search

So am I considered infertile / subfertile now?

(21 Posts)
PeppermintPatty Fri 17-Jul-09 21:26:11

Have been TTC no 2 for exactly a year now.

Nothing has happened. Absolutely no sign that I have ever conceived in that time. In fact the only thing that has happenned is my cycles have become more weird than before (as I suspect is often the case with TTC).

I have a DD who was conceived without trying 3 years ago. I thought it may take a while to conceive this time and I promised myself I wouldn't get upset / stressed about it till we'd been trying for a year.

Well now it's a year and I'm OFFICIALLY UPSET

I pretty sure I'm ovulating, all signs suggest I am. I'm having a blood test next month to see if I'm right about this.

I'm nearly 34. I have only one ovary and fallopian tube (one removed due to massive ovarian cyst), but this didn't cause any problems with conceiving DD.

I had an emergency CS with DD, this and my age are the only things that are different this time.

Does this mean I'm infertile? After trying for a year is there still any chance of me getting pregnant now?

PeppermintPatty Fri 17-Jul-09 22:34:09

Bumpy bump

tvfriend Fri 17-Jul-09 22:44:36

I'm the other way round- 18 months TTC DD and then no trouble for DS.I'm sure there is EVERY chance you could get pregnant.
If you're under 35 TTC the first time they don't ususually even start investigations until after a year as it's considered 'normal' to take a year. Given that you only have one tube, the odds are less.
Lots of people I know have taken longer than a year for No 1/No2/No 3 etc.
Sure it will happen soon- I know it's stressful though. Good luck

PeppermintPatty Fri 17-Jul-09 23:28:42

Thanks for your reply

It's strange isn't it? Do you know why it took 18 months for your DD?

My GP told me that after one year TTC and no success you are considered subfertile, and I suspect that SOMETHING must be wrong after all this time as well. But this obviously wasn't true in your case.

PeppermintPatty Sat 18-Jul-09 21:19:48

Anyone else?

Claire2009 Sat 18-Jul-09 21:23:55

Dd took 18mths of trying, and nothing. Went to the Gp and had blood tests done, all was ok and she said give it another year and they're do more tests.

I fell pregnant shortly after the bloods were done.

Ds, I was pregnant with him after my first period after Dd, she was 5mths when I found I was pregnant with Ds.

I had an emerg section with Dd.

Good Luck, Keep trying and don't stress
x

OracleInaCoracle Sat 18-Jul-09 21:24:52

you would be referred to clinic sooner rather than later due to your age and your obstetric history, however im not sure i would class you as subfertile yet. a year (while i know it seems like forever) isn't actually that long. have you read Taking Charge Of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler? it tells you how to chart etc which a lot of women find v useful and increases your chances.

tootsweets Sat 18-Jul-09 21:26:46

I had unexplained infertility when ttc number 3. Doctor thought there wasn't enough progesterone present to sustain the egg on ovulation. Had blood tests for months. Nothing. So gave up got a job and a year later became pregnant. Think in my case it was stress induced perhaps? It is sooo hard but relaxing about it does help. Good luck!

PeppermintPatty Sat 18-Jul-09 22:09:37

Thanks for your replies everyone - hearing your success stories give me some hope I know I year isn't that long really, I know some of you have been trying for longer

Lissie - I've tried charting and I found it hard to follow (as I have disrupted sleep and different waking times) and it also didn't really help me. I'm fairly sure when I ovulate by other signs and I found charting more pressure and stress than it was worth really.

I have read the book though and it is helpful in other ways. I find the title v annoying as I feel anything BUT in charge of my fertility ATM! It's in charge of me if anything grin

My GP says she wants to do a blood test on me and if that's ok then a sperm test on DH. I'm not sure what will happen after that and I am aware that I'm getting old and referrals can take ages. It does worry me

toots I am stressed, and upset and angry and lots of other things too. But only because of TTC for 12 months, and I find it's hard to do anything about that really. I can't afford to give up my job, but I only work 3 days a week anyway.
Any other tips for relaxing and things to take your mind of it?

PeppermintPatty Sat 18-Jul-09 22:14:20

Oops misunderstood your post toots - you GOT a job and gave up TTC.

I'm not sure HOW you give up TTC really. I'm sure that unless I used contraception I will always be aware of my chance of getting pregnant (however slim) and gutted when I'm not.

MyCatisGreebo Sat 18-Jul-09 22:24:17

I was ttc 1st time for 18mths. Had test, dh had tests and all the while friends and family were falling pregnant around me. Tests all proved we were absoloutely fine. In the end we went on a ski holiday and decided to stop worrying (according to my charts etc I wasn't ovulating whilst away) and - yup you've guessed it - got pregnant on holiday (which was a v v drunken ski holiday).

Decided we didn't want anymore so was just considering getting the coil fitted when thought we would do it just once without protection (obvioulsy we wouldn't catch because it took us 18mths beforehand) and - yup you've guessed it again - got pregnant.

I was 35 first time and 38 second time.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you can try and not think about it for a while, give yourself a break you might find that you'll be more successful than worrying about when you are ovulating or not and so on.

anniemac Sat 18-Jul-09 22:47:10

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Sat 18-Jul-09 23:03:42

I am not sure you truely do give up TTC, unles you start reusing contracetion.

I have a 7y DD who was concieved after about 15m (had a mc after a previous 15m TTC before that). Then been TTC for almost 5 years now for #2. Have been treated for Ashermans Syndrome and had Clomid, but nothing. I don;t think about TTC anymore much, but it is always int he back of your mind.

OP - have you had any tests? A year is, sadly, still fairly common for TTC. As I said before, my DD took over a year, as ddi my first unsuccessful pregnancy. It just takes ome babies longer to arrive.

anniemac Sat 18-Jul-09 23:18:26

Message withdrawn

PeppermintPatty Sat 18-Jul-09 23:29:34

Hula - oh my, so sorry you have been TTC for 5 years. That's truly shit What is Ashermans Syndrome if you don't mind me asking?
No not had tests yet, going for blood tests for ovulation this month.

PeppermintPatty Sat 18-Jul-09 23:31:59

Annie so you're pregnant now then? Congratulations! I really hope it goes well for you

trellism Sat 18-Jul-09 23:48:07

I was TTC for 2 years with all sorts of pointless investigations, bucketloads of Clomid, follicular tracking scans every month (at the wrong time angry).

It's a rough time for you and DH.

I think I did end up being graded as subfertile after a year. I won't say "it'll happen" as I think I did end up injuring people who said that to me.

Whilst I did end up ditching the thermometer and the Clearblue monitor, and got pg shortly afterwards, I can't say if the one led to the other really. I just got annoyed with the whole business.

PeppermintPatty Sun 19-Jul-09 00:22:16

Noooo trellism I WANT people to say it'll happen! It gives me hope. It's better than poeple saying it may never happen - which is what my mum said (I think she was trying to prepare me for the worst but it just made me cry!).

It is rough, increasingly so as each month goes by.

The silly thing is I'm really in no rush to get pregnant as this would probably be my last child, and I don't mind when they turn up. I'm not at all bothered about age gaps or anything like that.

I think the hard bit is not knowing whether it will happen or not, like annie says, a crystal ball would be good.

PeppermintPatty Sun 19-Jul-09 00:27:14

I mean in theory I'm in no rush to get pregnant, if I was to be rational about it. But obviously in my heart I want to be pregnant NOW more than anything.

mifi Sun 19-Jul-09 00:27:25

We had investigations done after 2 yrs of trying ended up with unexplained infertility. I then ended up conceiving naturally 3 yrs after this when me and dh changed our diet, I changed my stressful job and went on romantic holiday! I was informed that I probably hadnt ovulated every cycle making it harder to conceive but cant help but wonder if these factors contributed. Second child was conceived after first month of trying! However within a year of her birth I went through early menopause (as did my own mum I have to add). Obviously feeling truly blessed to have had one never mind two!!

Hulababy Sun 19-Jul-09 09:29:56

PeppermintPatty - Asherman's Syndrome is adhesions on the uterus. Mine were caused by my c section with DD. Symtoms nclude very light or non existent periods but pain associated with periods - I had pretty intense pains every month since having had DD. No longer fortunately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now