Talk

Advanced search

Should I go for IUI or IVF?

(6 Posts)
londonlexi Fri 17-Jul-09 14:50:12

I'm 40, have a DD 28 months old, have been TTC for just over a year and had 2 m/c during that time - 1 blighted ovum & 1 chemical m/c, last one in March. I recently had follicle monitoring and bloods and was told by my consultant that results were "excellent", however have just got AF today and am feeling the usual depression and acute awareness of the ticking clock and growing age gap. I was wondering should I consider assisted conception? Any views appreciated.

barbigirl Fri 17-Jul-09 17:40:43

Okay, I'm going to take a punt and answer this but it's a really tricky one! You obviously can get pregnant naturally and your fertility is okay so one half of me would say 'don't get on the medical train if you don't have to'. Be optimistic, keep going, save yourself (or the NHS) some cash etc etc. On the other hand, I understand the gloom and anxiety about tickety tock. Some people might say that fert treatment should be a last resort; it's expensive, invasive, heartbreaking, horrible. I would say 'sod that, it increases your chances of getting a baby' so it's all worth it. Basically, it's not an easy option ( not that you were suggesting it was) but it's not as hideous and terrible as it sounds when you first start to research it. IVF is a harder slog than IUI but as IVF worked for me (2nd time) and IUI didn't (four times) I've always slightly wished I'd gone straight to IVF and not pussyfooted around. That said, if IUI had worked, I'd probably say the opposite. errr...hope that is vaguely useful and sorry you're feeling down.

londonlexi Fri 17-Jul-09 18:15:13

Thanks barbigirl, that is really useful, and along the lines i was thinking really. Any other views from anyone before I go crawling to DH?

bamboostalks Fri 17-Jul-09 19:29:39

I think IUI is a waste of money in your situation, it only slightly enhances your chances beyond natural conception.

islegrin Fri 17-Jul-09 23:35:08

I'm on my 5th cycle of IUI and trying to avoid IVF, but in your case I'd suggest going to directly to IVF. That way you can choose the best one or two embryos or even take them to blasts, and you have a more reasonable chance of success. As was mentioned, you can obviously get pg - but mc might be caused by lesser quality embryos??? and maybe IVF can help with that. I'm not sure of course, but if you are looking for non-professional opinions - that is mine. Best of luck, any way you choose!

gillydaffodil Sat 18-Jul-09 20:49:34

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now