Talk

Advanced search

I'm not sure what to title this..?

(2 Posts)

so I'm TTC

I got told ages ago I had polycystic ovaries (as does everyone and their mother it would seem from what my friends have told me..!)
anyway, went to my doctor who did some bloodtests and told me that there was no way in hell I had PCOS as I don't have any of the 'classic' symptoms, fair enough I thought.

got results today, apparently my LH levels where slightly raised (I think it was that one - I was a bit teary as I'd called up and the receptionst had been a bit blunt about the results saying 'discuss with doctor' and I'd gotten into a panic and then I couldn't get through and then kept missing him when he called me back etc) he said something about a gland at the bottom of the brain I think?

anyway, he said the levels weren't that high, but that he was going to refer me to the fertility clinic anyway.

anyone else had experience of this?
what should I expect etc?

TIA x

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 17-Jul-09 13:33:23

It could be that this is PCO; one in every five women has polycystic ovaries.

PCOS in itself is a very individualistic disorder and affects each woman with it very differently. The only commonality these women share is the cystic follicles on the ovaries. You certainly do not need all of the "classic" symptoms to be diagnosed with PCOS. Its usually diagnosed through bloodwork i.e raised LH compared to that of FSH and internal ultrasound scans which can show the cystic follicles on the ovaries.

The pituitary gland is responsible for hormone production.

Verity is a useful website - www.verity-pcos.org.uk

It can take some months to actually get a referral to the clinic and the first appt is usually just a chat with both of you. Your man should attend this initial appt if at all possible; such appts can be nerve wracking and he can also ask questions and give support. Write down anything you want to ask well ahead of time (no question is daft). Medical histories for the two of you are taken and further tests are arranged. This would consist of blood tests and internal ultrasounds for you and semen analyses for him.

You need a firm diagnosis first and foremost and you will need to be persistant in order to get answers.

It may be decided that you benefit from a course of clomid - this can kickstart the ovulation process in some women. However, clomid is powerful stuff and thus you should be monitored whilst on it

HTH a bit, any other questions just ask.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now