Talk

Advanced search

is it possible to ovulate, concieve, ovulate again?

(14 Posts)
OnlyWantsOne Fri 17-Jul-09 07:27:22

Well, is it?

LMP sarted on June 22nd

I'm using ovulation testing sticks

I ovulated on the July 4th (CD13)

My nomal cycle length is 24 days.

Last night due to EWCM I tested using an ovulation test, bingo bango aparently I'm ovulating.

Had a BFN from a FR test yesterday morning which would have been 12 DPO and CD26.

DH works away - and is not here to "help" and we are really confused...

Why would my period not come, I'd have PG symptoms, and yet be ovulating?

skihorse Fri 17-Jul-09 07:49:12

I was pg last month and had much more EWCM towards the end of my cycle than normal - I've read around and it's pretty common.

As to whether you can ovulate-conceive-ovulate again, yes! My mother was a teacher and she remembers having brother & sister in the same class born 4 months apart! shock

OnlyWantsOne Fri 17-Jul-09 07:58:42

its pretty unlikely though isnt it?

havent POAS today sad dont really want to see another BFN

congrats to you getting PG x x

skihorse Fri 17-Jul-09 08:02:17

Oh god yeh, massively unlikely - I mean how often do you hear a story like that?

Thanks... but I mc. sigh try again right? I think I may be pg again though because I'm getting the same symptoms.

OnlyWantsOne Fri 17-Jul-09 08:06:41

oh gosh, sorry I didnt realise - so sorry.

Good luck and fingers crossed that this is the month for you, may I ask what symptoms?

Is it really unlikely that I could be PG and still ovulate?

skihorse Fri 17-Jul-09 08:12:20

I've had "all" of the common ones except sore boobs - but I never get sore boobs...

diarrhea
dizziness
bleeding gums
bloating
creamy mucus
tiredness
thirst
sweating like a pig (i.e., sat in pants & vest top with sweat streaming off me on an overcast day wink )
greasy skin
sore back

That's all I can remember right now - there's always an alternative excuse to nearly each and every one of course.

OnlyWantsOne Fri 17-Jul-09 08:41:42

Ive just done a FR and was a BFN

but also did an ebay cheapy can see 2 lines, but have done 2 more ebay tests and they are BFN, is this possible a false positive?

what the hell is going on?

its faint, but def a line on one of the tests

MrsHappy Fri 17-Jul-09 09:04:57

No you can't ovulate, conceive and ovulate again, because conception turns off your normal hormones. It is possible to ovulate twice in one cycle but most experts agree that the two eggs will be released within a short period of each other (24 hours or so).

Skihorse, I would suspect in that case that one child had been carried by a surrogate or adopted. I am really not sure how it would be medically possible for one to be born and the other to remain safely in utero for 4 more months...

OWO - ovulation predictor tests simply do not work for some women. My gynae called them "worse than useless".
If you have PCOS for example you may have more than one LH surge in your cycle. Alternatively even women without PCOS have times when their bodies gear up for ovulation and nothing happens, because of stress, illness, travel or because nature isn't perfect. I highly recommend you get a copy of "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" out of the library and see if that helps you get to the bottom of what's been going on.

TBH it sounds to me as though you are just having a weird cycle. There's nothing like ttc for doing that to you! I hope it works out for you soon.

OnlyWantsOne Fri 17-Jul-09 09:31:33

really? they are no good?

what about the faint positive on the ebay PG test?

rainbowdays Fri 17-Jul-09 10:09:27

You get an LH surge (measured by OPK tests) just before your af arrives. Also you get all the "pregnancy" symptoms with a rise in progesterone, just before af arrives too. So no you are definitely not ovulating a second time.

As to whether you are pregnant or not - I think that the cheap internet cheapies are dreadful at giving faint lines that are evaporation lines. Did the line on the test have colour in in within 10 minutes? or did colour come after this time? If you can honestly answer yes to these questions, then it is possible you are at the early stages of pregnancy. However the fact that the other two internet cheapy tests and the FR were negative, suggests that possibly you are just having a slightly late af. Possibly a chemical pregnancy.

The only way to know if you are pg is to wait a couple of days and test again. If that was a faint positive on the test today, then in a couple of days it should be darker.

skihorse Fri 17-Jul-09 11:08:25

MrsHappy this was in the 60s... not sure how common surrogacy was back then! wink

skihorse Fri 17-Jul-09 11:09:00

I think it was a case of a double uterus though... ?

OnlyWantsOne Fri 17-Jul-09 21:36:47

still no AF - have used another ovulation test it was negative, the line in the PG test was there within seconds - will wait for AF to arrive now, not going to waist my money testing every day. Dont think its my month this month.

artichokes Fri 17-Jul-09 21:52:02

My know twins who were conceived six weeks apart! Apparently it is very rare but does happen. The mum got pregnant but ovulated a month later and got pregnant again. The girls were born on the same day but one was six weeks premature.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now