Talk

Advanced search

Can you conceive 5 days before period is due?

(12 Posts)
aimeemummy Wed 15-Jul-09 20:02:11

Can you conceive 5 days before period is due?

LuluMaman Wed 15-Jul-09 20:03:26

you can conceive any time in your cycle, but some times are more fertile than others

any time you have unprotected sex, you have a chance of getting pregnant

aimeemummy Wed 15-Jul-09 20:08:25

We've just started trying for a baby last week and my period was due today (normally very regular) so wondered if it is possible i could be pregnant. Hope so!

belgo Wed 15-Jul-09 20:09:15

Yes you can if ovulation has been delayed for any reason.

aimeemummy Wed 15-Jul-09 20:14:30

what reasons would ovulatino be delayed for?

LuluMaman Wed 15-Jul-09 20:16:08

all sorts of reasons.. i.e if you have come off the Pill it can take a while for your cycle to get back to normal

or some cycles are just longer/shorter with no reason..

belgo Wed 15-Jul-09 20:16:57

Illness, stress, and sometimes ovulation can be delayed for no reason.

I would wait another week before testing.

aimeemummy Wed 15-Jul-09 20:18:43

thanks for the advice, we're only in the first few days of trying and already its all i can think about. Its probably wishful thinking!

belgo Wed 15-Jul-09 20:19:48

Good luck, hope it doesn't take too long before it happens!

aimeemummy Wed 15-Jul-09 20:20:37

thanks

babyboom1979 Wed 15-Jul-09 21:41:30

Hi AM.....One can conceive at any point in one's cycle but it is very unlikely that it would happpen 5 days before period is due (unless one ovulate's late -- in which case one's period would also be overdue). This is because a woman needs between 10-16 days post ovulation and fertilisation for the blastocyst to travel from fallopian tube to uterus to implant. This 10-16 day period is known as the luteal phase and varies from woman to woman -- the average being 14 days.

Best of luck on your ttc journey although it might be best to relax a bit so early in the game. Even for the healthiest of couples it can sometimes take a little while....but maybe you will be one of the lucky ones!

aimeemummy Thu 16-Jul-09 17:56:20

not to be this month, how do you know when is the best dates to try to conceive?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now