Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

If you're stressed (general not 'just' TTC stress) is it harder to conceive?

(9 Posts)
funnyoldfolkestone Mon 13-Jul-09 10:54:16

Hello everybody! I have been TTC for my second DC for just one month (I know, I know, it's far too early to obsess about this but I'm finding it really hard not to, as people on the other thread I'm on will know!) and was just speculating really that this month I was really stressed, we moved house, and I had a couple of big work events at about the same time, and my CM was ill so I had to take time out, and it was REALLY hot(!), and my DH was just about to go away for a three week business trip. It was really strange as I just kind of KNEW that I wasn't going to get pregnant this month, it didn't feel at all right. Do you think though this makes any difference at all or am I just clutching at straws. We were incredibly lucky to conceive first month of trying with DD and although I tried to tell myself it wouldn't happen twice, I am stupidly disappointed that it hasn't!!!

funnyoldfolkestone Mon 13-Jul-09 11:39:39

Bump. Or maybe this a really rubbish question!

Hobnobfanatic Mon 13-Jul-09 11:42:32

My consultant believes even TTC stress can make conceiving more difficult, so 'other' stress must be a factor. She told me to throw about the charts and thermometers as there can be tiny hormonal changes that come with the anticipation of when you think you're ovulating and it can throw your body out of balance. I'm sure she said it more scientifically than that, but I'm just paraphrasing!

You definitely need to relax. One month of trying is NOTHING! I'm on month 8 and it's killing me!

funnyoldfolkestone Mon 13-Jul-09 11:47:58

Really good luck Hobnobfanatic! I really hope it works out for you soon. I know, it's nothing at all. I'm a terrible control freak. Maybe next month I will not chart or anything, and just shag loads! To put it bluntly! But sometimes I feel better if I feel like I'm actually doing something to make it happen rather than leaving it to my body which I can't control. Oh God, I realise I do sound a bit mad!

skihorse Mon 13-Jul-09 11:52:16

I have some major stressors in my life. I was trying for 8 cycles and got pg last month (sadly mc) - on the day I worked a full day then did a step class, then a yoga class - I got home a little after 10 and the last thing on my mind as I fell asleep was "oh god please let this be OK" - too knackered to be stressed! wink

On the other hand... if you couldn't get pg when stressed how is it that girls sitting their GCSEs can get pregnant just by sitting next to a boy during revision?

I honestly believe the charting is just adding another stressor. On another forum there's a girl who's been trying the best part of a year - she's a prolific poster. Every single time she posts, there as her sig it says "YOU ARE ON CD 13 YOU BARREN WHORE - 2 MORE DAYS TO OV!" (or something like that!) but basically just another thing punching you in the face. You're not daft, you know when you're OV'ing.

funnyoldfolkestone Mon 13-Jul-09 12:08:46

Hi skihorse. I'm so sorry about your miscarriage, fingers crossed for you next time. I know exactly what you mean about the teenage pregnancy point, that's kind of what I meant, that plenty of people DO get pregnant when stressed. But then I guess it probably doesn't help to be stressed about TTC AND about other stuff too. And by the way I admit that my 'stressors' were/are not particularly bad and were also temporary so wouldn't want to overplay them.

This whole thing reminds me of before I met my (now) DH, and thought I was ancient and on the shelf, and everyone said to me for ages, don't stress, it will happen just get on with other things! But the trouble is, how do you pretend to yourself that you don't care that much when you do!?

Anyway, I'm off to read my Buddhist meditation book now I think. Well, I would be if I wasn't at work!

skihorse Mon 13-Jul-09 12:40:12

Have you considered going to the fertility clinc and being patronised by a teenage consultant offering to tell you which hole to put it in? grin

funnyoldfolkestone Mon 13-Jul-09 13:24:27

Oh Skihorse, that sounds horrible. I'm sorry you're having such a bad time!

skihorse Mon 13-Jul-09 13:27:39

haha it wasn't really - we laughed ourselves silly about it AND as soon as we ditched the condoms and started having vaginal sex I got pregnant! wink

Seriously, you've got to fucking wonder who out there is breeding when we were asked whether we were sterilised, using contraception, having sex, having vaginal sex, him ejaculating etc., etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now