Talk

Advanced search

Think we've missed our 'window' of opportunity this month!

(6 Posts)
mampam Fri 10-Jul-09 13:07:32

Oh bugger, I think DH and I have missed our opportunity this month and I really need somewhere to vent my frustration.

Noticed I had major CM on Tuesday (07/07) which was CD 12. DH and I BD on this day but he didn't cum as he has been suffering from headaches lately and all the vigorous bumping around (sorry!) made it worse and we had to stop (I didn't care as I'd had fun IYSWIM?). So we BD the following day with success but DH hasn't felt like BDing since.

I have quite irregular cycles so find it hard to know other than looking out for symptoms, when I am ovulating. On Tuesday I had lots of clear CM and now it is more white in colour and I have got tummy ache and backache.

I'm just pissed off thinking that we could have missed our window this cycle, ok so chances are we wouldn't conceive this time but I just want to know in my own mind that we gave it our best shot. So I thought it best to vent my frustrations here rather than at hubby, who I know hasn't been feeling well but it's still bloody annoying that he hasn't felt like having sex!!

Getthekettleon Fri 10-Jul-09 13:32:46

Its horriable trying get the dates right. I had irregular cycle and I concieved at day 19 so you could keep trying? I friend of mine also concieved day 19!

Neeko Fri 10-Jul-09 14:41:54

I just ovulated on CD 21 and last time it was day 32 shock (delayed ovulation due to stress) so keep trying. You can have several patches of EWCM in a cycle but only ovulate once so don't give up yet. Good luck.

mampam Fri 10-Jul-09 14:55:23

It's hard also to keep sex exciting when you have an irregular cycle and are ttc. My last cycle was 47days! So to keep BDing every other day for that long is exhausting!!

I tend to have one long cycle and then a shorter one of 29-35days(ish), so I really do not know when I ovulate!

I just need to learn some patience, that's my trouble!

I already have 2DC from my 1st marriage and conceived DD after a drunken night out which ended in unprotected sex (I was 19 but ex and I had been together for 3 years at that stage) and DS was conceived in the first month that we were actively trying. But the difference between then and now is that then I had a regular cycle of 28 days and I would even know exactly what time AF would arrive!

I'm quite prepared for the fact that it will take a lot longer to conceive this time as I'm with a different partner and I have irregular periods but as I said before I seriously have to learn some patience!!

Neeko Fri 10-Jul-09 15:19:50

Treat yourself (!) to a big stash of OPKs from babymad and POAS until you get an idea of your cycle again.
MY DD was conceived 1st cycle as was the baby I miscarried and it's very frustrating when it doesn't happen again.
I know what you mean about exhaustion though - DH and I had 7 days in a row because of suspected ovulation followed by 4 days of + OPKs. Let's just hope it results in a BFP a week on Monday. At least I have a holiday next week to take my mind off it.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 10-Jul-09 15:20:44

mampam

Its not about patience or being patient unfortunately. There are two problems here; one is age (generally speaking fertility does decline with age particularly after 35) and the second one is the irregular cycles.
That needs addressing.

Your last cycle (the 47 day one) was more likely than not to have been anovulatory. A "normal" cycle is a cycle length of between 21 and 35 days OR with a variation of 4 days or less from month to month. Your cycle would certainly been seen as irregular and it is also possible to have periods without ovulating.

Also timing of intercourse does no good at all; it can cause problems within a relationship. Make love when you both feel like it, not only when you think its ovulation time. Its all too easy to get the date wrong and signs can misled.

Irregular periods are often caused by hormonal imbalances; in this regard a condition called polycystic ovaries is a common culprit. Another possible cause is thyroid imbalance.

You do not say how old you are but if you're over 35 and have been ttc for six months plus without success a visit to the GP would be in order. A blood test can be done to assess your overall hormone levels. You should have your LH and FSH levels tested on day 3 of the cycle (so the 3rd of the month as these tests can also be done according to calendar days). If there is an imbalance between LH and FSH then you have some indication as to why your periods are irregular.

Would seek medical advice sooner rather than later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now