Talk

Advanced search

Question about ovulation predictor kits

(5 Posts)
MomDePlume Wed 08-Jul-09 13:11:30

I'm trying an OPK for the first time, because my cycle has been doing weird things this month. (I do BBT charting and I haven't seen a temperature rise, in spite of being past my normal ovulation date and having other positive indications.) So, I've just done an ovulation test on CD19 and got a negative result. My question is this - what reading would I be getting if I've actually tested after ovulation? Would it still be a negative? If so, how long does the LH surge last - is it just pre-ovulation or does the level stay high for a while?

I've had a laparoscopy this month so I guess it might have thrown out my cycle, but thought I'd ask the question. Thanks!

Runningwithscissors Wed 08-Jul-09 14:16:34

Hi MomdePlume

I can tell you that my LH surge lasts for about 2-3 days, and then goes away. So you might not have O'ed yet, or it may have already happened...

babyboom1979 Wed 08-Jul-09 14:49:22

Hi -- I just read my clearblue digital ov predictor pamflet and it says the LH surge lasts from 12-36 hours (from the beginning when it rises to the end when the egg is released and the LH drops). The LH surge ONLY happens pre-ovulation (as it stimulates the release of an egg) so if you tested afterwards, it would be negative.

GingaOutWest Wed 08-Jul-09 16:50:32

Hi - I'd recommend finding a supplier online and getting loads of OPKs for use over the week(ish) in question over a few months. Can be v expensive buying packs of 4 or 5 sticks from high st chemist. I did temps too as cycle was completely erratic (graphs on excel! Completely obsessed.) so ended up using anything up to 10 sticks per month. Initially I assumed I'd got a duff batch of cheap OPKs that didn't work....then found out my ovaries were the problem and OPKs were fully functioning. My one +ve result in 18 months+ prior to IVF programme was in the 12-24 hours before ovulation and matched the temperature data as perfect functioning system should. Hope this helps.

MomDePlume Wed 08-Jul-09 18:03:39

Thanks. Based on what you've all said, it sounds like I either haven't ovulated this month, or my temps are doing something a bit weird and I've already ovulated. Might try an online supplier for next month, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now