Talk

Advanced search

Just starting TTC - help!

(10 Posts)
MrsRC Mon 06-Jul-09 12:34:10

Hi All

I'm new on here and hope you can give some much needed help and guidance!!

Hubby and I have decided to start TTC - I am 26 he is 29. Now, after reading through various posts on here I am a little bit confused!

I have just finished my last pack of pills...do I need to wait for my peroids to start properly before TTC or can we just go for it and see what happens? My sister said that I should wait as then it is easier to work out the due date of the baby otherwise they have to use probes to find out how big the baby is etc which frankly sounds quite scary....

Also, have started my folic acid tablets...anything else I need to do?!

Oh it is all so confusing?! Please help if you can I am in a muddle....

MummyElk Mon 06-Jul-09 13:16:48

Hi MRsRC!!
Best advice given to me by my GP was - "The best way to make a baby is to enjoy your sex life"
You're doing all the right things - just enjoy it and don't read too much on here, Mumsnet is fabulous but it does give you too much information sometimes too!
FWIW me and my hubby decided the same thing, to stop pills and see what happened. We were pregnant within the fortnight and I found out afterwards that your fertility actually goes UP for a couple of weeks after stopping your pills.
might be an urban myth but it worked for us blush
good luck and enjoy it!

and yes you're right about folic acid- take them

MrsRC Mon 06-Jul-09 13:38:54

Thank you! OK - so will just enjoy it all and see what happens!!

stillstanding Mon 06-Jul-09 13:40:34

I thought that doctors recommended that you were off the pill for at least 3 months before you started trying?

WildSeahorses Mon 06-Jul-09 13:42:12

My doc said to start straight away, to take advantage of the immediate upswing in fertility

MrsRC Mon 06-Jul-09 13:44:21

oh so many mixed messages! Surely it can't hurt to try straight away though?

WildSeahorses Mon 06-Jul-09 13:46:27

If you're feeling in doubt about it, why not see your doctor? At least then you can feel comfortable that you've had a chance to discuss it with a medical professional and you could work through any queries with them.

stillstanding Mon 06-Jul-09 13:48:44

Found this:

If you are currently taking an oral contraceptive, there are varied views on whether you should allow your body some time to "recover" from its effects before actively trying to get pregnant.

Some experts recommend that you stop taking the pill two or three months before trying to conceive because, as well as preventing you from ovulating, oral contraceptives cause changes in the lining of your uterus. These experts believe that if you did accidentally become pregnant, the embryo might not be able to embed itself in the uterine wall. The changes in the uterine lining take a few menstrual cycles to correct, so if you became pregnant immediately after stopping the pill, you might have a higher risk of miscarriage.

Some doctors recommend allowing a month or two simply for your body to adjust itself to its natural cycle; others point out that the hormones from the pill are eliminated from your system as soon as you have your next menstrual period, so if you are keen to conceive, you should go ahead.

In the past, when doses of hormones in the Pill were higher, there used to be worries that getting pregnant while taking the pill, or just after stopping, would be harmful to the developing embryo. But more recent research has found no evidence of an increased risk of abnormalities. Your baby won’t come to any harm if you get pregnant straightaway.

The Family Planning Association states that usual advice is to "wait until you have one normal period before trying to get pregnant", as this will help your GP or midwife to accurately predict your due date.

Taking some time before you start trying can help you ensure that you are in the best of health for pregnancy, such as taking folic acid as soon as you start trying, stop smoking or make other lifestyle changes.

Once you have stopped taking the pill and are trying to get pregnant, it is a good idea to note the dates of your menstrual periods. Knowing the right date of your last period can assist doctors in checking the progress of your pregnancy, as they will have an accurate idea of when your baby was conceived. An early ultrasound dating scan also help date your pregnancy.

tobago04 Tue 07-Jul-09 16:09:45

Hi,just came off the pill and trying for number 3! I caught my first 3mths after stopping pill and caught straight away second time,i'm no doctor but it did'nt do me or my dds any harm,who wants to wait 3mths before trying! No probes came near me!! so don't worry just enjoy trying!!

barbigirl Wed 08-Jul-09 12:02:24

MummyElk is 100% right- come off the pill and just enjoy it. It's good to be sensible re;smoking/drinking/ folic acid etc but tbh the thing that will make the baby is sperm meets egg and the best way to do that is sex! Good luck and don't be discouraged if it doesn't work straight away.

As regards 'probing'- block your ears to anyone who starts at this early stage to scare you off the whole thing. Pregnancy does entail a bit of prodding and poking but you will just be so excited at any scan when you see your baby that the fear/ discomfort factor goes out of the window.

Hmmm... Sometimes I can't help feeling everyone under 30 or anyone who's been TTC for less than a year should be banned from reading the anxiety-making threads on here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now