Talk

Advanced search

I think I made myself look silly at the doctors today

(9 Posts)
lostitoday Thu 02-Jul-09 18:42:19

Hi
I am going thorugh a bit of a traumatic time I have been ttc for over 2 years and was told last October that I have premature ovarian failure.
I was also told that I do still have some ovarian function and will probably ovulate on and off so still have a chance naturally of falling pregnant.
I was told to take a months worth of hrt whenever my periods stop as sometimes this spurs the ovaries into action again.
I was also told that having pof can make me prone to a early menopause and if ever my periods never come back then that would probably mean I in ealry menopause.
I am still holding onto hope that I will suddenly ovulate and somehow manage to become pregnant.
I have become very down about my situation and am due for counselling and I have been put on antidepressents as I have had trouble accepeting my situation.
I told my doctor today that I am still holding onto that gynos words that I still have a chance naturally and I am still ttc despite the fact my chances are slim.
I also explained that I was worried about taking antidepressents while ttc just in case by some chance I did fall pregnant.
She said that it has to be my decision but that she thinks my mental wellbeing is important.
Do you think I am daft and made a idiot out of myself.
I just can,t give up hope its all I have.

hopingalways Thu 02-Jul-09 18:55:23

I don't think you're daft at all. You've been told by the professionals that you do have a chance to conceive, so no reason to give up hope.

it must be so tough, but hang on in there. <hug>

canttouchthis Thu 02-Jul-09 18:58:04

I can't even imagine what you must be going through just now, that's devastating news, but like you, I'd be holding out hope for the chance of falling pregnant at any time from now. Definately making the right decision by seeking counselling, that seems like a wise choice to talk through all your emotions with someone unrelated to you. Let it all out, and explain how you feel.
I'm sorry i don't have any answers, but just wanted to reply to you when I saw your post.

bamboostalks Thu 02-Jul-09 19:13:53

This is a very tough situation but there is still hope. The fertilityfriends website have lots of people in a similar situation who can support you. If you are unable to concieve yourself you can still carry a child through egg donation.

TrinityRhino Thu 02-Jul-09 19:16:38

I was on anti d's when I had my two youngest children

please take them and carry on trying

your well being is very important in the possibility of you conceiving

I wish you all the luck in the world

seaside72 Sat 04-Jul-09 22:22:19

Hi there
I have no experience of anti-d's but was in a slightly similar situation 2 years ago when I was told following an AMH (hormone) test that my ovaries (and consequently eggs) were on the way out. Given the fact that my mother had begun menopause around the age of 37 and I was 34 at the time and had been TTC for 18 months I was not entirely surprised but devastated nonetheless.

Following a few medical issues in my life I am a big fan of alternative therapies so as conventional medicine was offering me nothing except maybe a lap and dye/HSG and then a go at IVF I decided to try everything else so I went for it: Chinese herbs, acupuncture, osteopathy, flower essences, supplements, even a fertility spell on ebay (I kid you not!)..... the lot. Yes, it was £££, but less than IVF. Anyway I got a BFP 3 months later and he is now 18 months and I am hoping to try again but obviously my eggs and ovaries are even older than last time now! So I have recently bought a book called "the fertility diet" as I truly believe we can effect the hormone balance in our bodies and also I have read a lot about diet and supplements that can delay menopause.

I guess all I am saying is sometimes the docs don't have all the answers and can also be very single minded in their diagnosis. They seem to mostly treat the symptoms rather than the cause iyswim? So although it may be of no help at all I would really recommend if only for your peace of mind to empower yourself with as much info as you can find and definitely don't give up hope smile

Wishing you loads of luck

P.S. I especially found the flower essences completely changed my attitude (which had been very depressed and consumed with envy for any pg woman I saw or knew blush)

rachxx Sat 04-Jul-09 22:46:50

I know what you mean- they do treat symptoms and don't seem to get to the core of the problems or do anything to prevent it from happening.

I belive that hormones etc are greatly influenced by our diet, and would like to wish you good luck in concieving your next child quickly, which you will do,

hugs

lostitoday Mon 06-Jul-09 20:48:31

Thanks for your responses.
seaside its an horrendous situation and I feel angry with the infertility clinic at the moment don,t know whether I really have a right to be.
I just feel that they have left me in an unclear state of mind and they have basically washed their hands of me saying that there is no more that they can do.
They have never performed any AMH test on me I have no idea what the situation is with my eggs as to whether I have any, or if they are even good quality.
I hate my life right now and although I am ttc I have no idea when is the right time as I have not got a clue when I will ovulate if ever and I am getting older.

Trying4Baby1 Fri 17-Jul-09 21:19:15

I think the anti ds are a good idea if you need them. I was on meds for 2 years and they really helped. I know you're worried about TTC when on them but the fact is if you're really down and stressed then your immune system will be weakened and it may decrease your chance of falling pregnant too if you're stressed. I think the meds will help you relax and stabilise your mood and if you're less stressed you may get pregnant easier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now