Talk

Advanced search

Ovulation tests/cycles I'm so confused. Advice needed!!!

(13 Posts)
CakeandFineWine Fri 26-Jun-09 11:00:42

Hello ladies,

We are currently TTC #2.
I've been off the pill for 4 months now.
My average cycle seems to be between 31/35 days.
The first day of my last period was 2nd June.
I worked out my most fertile week on the calculator on here as week beginning 14/15 June so did what I should wink
Then on Friday 19th by friend so some bizarre reason gave me an ovulation kit, so for curiosity I peed on the sticks and on Sunday 21st it read I would ovulated in the next 24-36hours?!? shock WHAT?!
Its still giving that reading, then I decided I have early sypmtoms, I gotta spot them, sore boobs, acute sense of smell etc and re-read instructions and it said pregancy would alter readings.
So did a clearblue digital thing today, negative!
Went on NHS website for curisoity typed in last period and cycle length and it said I would be 2 weeks pregnant!?
So whats going on with the ovulation test, wouldn't the clearblue test have picked up if i was pregnant, and am I completely missed my fertile days or what?!?!?!

Expert advice needed, and I know you ladies are experts! smile

CakeandFineWine Fri 26-Jun-09 12:01:38

bumpety bump

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 26-Jun-09 12:25:44

OPK's work on two misleading principles namely that there is one rise in LH every month and that such a rise is immediately followed by ovulation. Both of these are simply not true.

The ovulation test you used was misleading. I'd forget all about these kits and instead have blood tests done to see what your hormone levels are like.

Would also forget this idea about "fertile days" - it just puts undue pressure on you.

stillstanding Fri 26-Jun-09 12:34:55

At the fertility clinic we went to the consultant said that the kits got it wrong 15% (I think that's the right number) of the time and that you didn't ovulate within 24/36 hours 10% (I think) of the time so basically the opk tests were about 75% accurate (I'm sure of that number!).

I did find them quite useful though but you do need to check other signs of ovulation and keep a diary to work out your general pattern over the months. Don't really on the kits alone.

Apparently many people do think they are ovulating much earlier in the month then they actually are.

CakeandFineWine Fri 26-Jun-09 12:37:03

Cheers ATM thats makes abit more sense,

I'd somehow convinced myself that as the OPK's reading has been postive for 5 days that it was picking up HCG so was pregnant IYSWIM?!

I don't feel under pressure, just really confused, it was so easy last time, I got pregnant on my second month off the pill no planning, calculating etc needed!! GGRRHH

CakeandFineWine Fri 26-Jun-09 13:05:50

Cheers stillstanding,

I thought I would be ovulating this week just gone actually, and was suprised when the calculator said last week. I had some symptoms of ovulation this week too?!
I'm not convinced I would have conceived if it was this week due to DH shift pattern IYKWIM,

Ho hum lets see!

canttouchthis Fri 26-Jun-09 13:18:54

My cycle is simialar to yours, so it's harder to pinpoint ovulation the longer the cycle. Mine varies from 30 to 35 days. It's different every month. Which is why I'm still TTC no2 for the past 18 months now. Best thing to do is just keep TTC but let it happen naturally, best advice I could give.
Using OPK just stresses you out even more, let things happen on their own and you'll become more relaxed body and mind.

Tigresswoods Fri 26-Jun-09 13:54:29

Hi Cakeandwine I have a 31-35 day cycle too and read your first comment with interest as I am struggling to pinpoint my accurate "most fertile" dates. I think with a typical 28 day cyle the 14 day thing is true but I think you are actually supposed to count backwards from the date your period is due by 14 days... but don't listen to me, 3 months on Clomid and we haven't got it right yet so who knows!?

BTW, did try OPK myself but got no result at all and consultant then told me they are useless for ladies with PCOS like me anyway.

We are just shooting in the dark, so to speak!

stillstanding Fri 26-Jun-09 16:12:56

But the 14 day thing just isn't true for everyone. I have a 28 day cycle but ovulated on day 16 sometimes 17. It really is worth checking out all your ov symptoms to try to get an accurate picture.

canttouchthis Fri 26-Jun-09 16:55:45

i agree stillstanding, i dont' think i ovulate every month on day 14 either. sometimes not atall. everyone is different so we can't all just assume that ovulation happen on day 14, because it clearly doesn't otherwise others like myself should be pg by now!lol

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 26-Jun-09 16:57:43

canttouchthis

If you have been ttc for 18 months there is likely to be a fertility problem with either one or both of you equally. Please seek medical advice and get a referral to a gynae asap.

canttouchthis Fri 26-Jun-09 17:08:03

I am giving it until the beginning of 2010 then I will seek advice (because we've been trying but also too tired to try sometimes) so call it 'lazy' trying if you like.

CakeandFineWine Sun 28-Jun-09 20:52:58

Sorry bout the delay, my computer bloody broke!!

Thanks for all your info its really helpful to read others with an equally annoyingly long and irregular cycle.
I still have some weird symptoms really sensitive/sore boobs etc so I'm going to try very hard to wait and not test until next Saturday (?4th!) and hope its a BFP and we did get the right day somewhere wink

I have got 3 HPT is my medicine cupboard tho so Sat is def wishful thinking!!! blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now