Talk

Advanced search

thought I had bfp last Fri, now neg, period overdue

(15 Posts)
paddingtonbear1 Mon 22-Jun-09 14:16:59

Last fri I had period-like symptoms but worse - lower back pain, dragging in lower stomach. My period was due but I hadn't come on. I did first response which was positive. Over the weekend though my symptoms disappeared, today my test is neg, but still no AF! Anyone else had this?

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Mon 22-Jun-09 14:25:21

Not had this but the negative is more likely to be false than the positive test, especially as your period has still not arrived.

It could be a less sensitive test, or a weaker urine sample.

paddingtonbear1 Mon 22-Jun-09 14:30:24

yeah the test today was a cheapy boots one. We're not ttc, this would be an accident, but I was starting to come to terms with the idea!

Angelfifi Mon 22-Jun-09 16:03:02

I think the first response are quite sensitive, and the boots ones arn't, try again with a first response, if not wait a few days and do anouther boots one. Good luck!!

makingdotoo Mon 22-Jun-09 16:05:16

If you get a bfp on one type of test, you should really stick with that test, especially if the line is faint to see if its getting stronger. I would do the first response too

rainbowdays Mon 22-Jun-09 16:11:02

hate to say it but you could have had a chemical pregnancy, where you could get a positive test but then it does not implant properly so your period arrives just a few days late. Either that or as the others have said could be less sensitive test and more dilute wee giving the negative today.

I think wait a couple more days to see if af arrives if not then retest with FMU with another first response.

HTH

paddingtonbear1 Tue 23-Jun-09 09:50:21

rainbowdays I think you could be right - I had what I thought was the beginning of AF last night but so far it's just been spotting. As the test was neg I'm expecting a real period now though.
I guess in the days before these early tests, I would have been none the wiser...

babyboom1979 Tue 23-Jun-09 10:30:48

I had exactly thing happen to me two weeks ago. I took three pregnancy tests two days before period was due all of which were positive. Then my symptoms disapearred and I took another test a few days later which was negative. Period arrived a few days after it was due. Doctor said it was the classical chemical pregnancy where fertilisation occurs but embryo fails to implant properly.

Also, there is no such thing as a false positive. A line is a line when done within the allocated testing window! False negatives occur when one tests too early or with urine that is diluted throughout the day. Perhaps this is what has happenned to you.

Best of luck.

Beanmum Tue 23-Jun-09 10:49:57

I had a chemical pregnancy last month too - it's convinced me that early tests are the work of the devil, as I'd got myself (and dh) sooo excited...

Hope you get the result you're looking for.

babyboom1979 Tue 23-Jun-09 11:07:10

I wholeheartedly agree with Beanmum -- NEVER test early. It can really set you up for massive disapointment.

Jumente Tue 23-Jun-09 11:21:45

Oh Paddington, hope you are Ok x

paddingtonbear1 Tue 23-Jun-09 13:12:53

thank you all, I am ok, AF still not come on properly and my stomach is bloated and sore! Beanmum dh was v excited too, he bought me flowers, I was apologising to to him last night. These early tests are all very well but they take our money and then set us up for possible disappointment!

rainbowdays Tue 23-Jun-09 15:16:33

Paddingtonbear - yep early tests are not good, but we are all drawn into it anyway.

I hate to ask but have you tested again to check it is still negative? !

makingdotoo Tue 23-Jun-09 16:13:00

i spotted for 4 days over Af with this new pregnancy, its not over till af is singing. If it doesnt come to much, might be worth retesting. Best of luck.

paddingtonbear1 Tue 23-Jun-09 16:33:10

hi no need to test again, AF has definitely started! we weren't ttc - I am 41 and thought I was getting too old to start again, but dh was keen so maybe we should think about it..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now