Talk

Advanced search

possibly a stupid question but...

(8 Posts)
potatofactory Sat 20-Jun-09 18:13:44

If you started your periods late (I was well over 15) does that give you a bit more leeway in terms of conceiving later?

Stupid question?

potatofactory Sat 20-Jun-09 18:14:16

I mean conceiving later in life smile

doulalc Sat 20-Jun-09 19:47:34

Not a stupid question at all. The thought is that if you start your period early you will be more likely to start menopause early. However, there is also the likelihood that you will go through menopause similar to when and how your mother did, or will.

The difference will usually only be slight however. The majority of women will start to see a decline in fertility in their 30's...even more so in their late 30's and into their 40's. It becomes fairly uncommon for a women in her mid to late 40's to become pregnant without medical assistance...but those "change of life" babies do happen....

Lulumama Sat 20-Jun-09 19:50:23

also would have thought that issues with the eggs themselves would still occur at the same age as a woman who started periods earlier as you are born with your eggs, so they start ageing from day one.

potatofactory Sat 20-Jun-09 19:52:19

Very interesting, thanks! Just hoping really, as the years tick by and still no sign of dc2

potatofactory Sat 20-Jun-09 19:53:27

good point too, lulumama. Hadn't thought of that!

Lulumama Sat 20-Jun-09 21:11:22

sorry to hear that,

judging by the conception boards on here, secondary infertility is really widespread.

have you been referred to a fertility clinic?

potatofactory Sun 21-Jun-09 06:44:43

No - I guess that's the next step...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now