Talk

Advanced search

IVF and work ?

(9 Posts)
whereeverIlaymyhat Sat 20-Jun-09 15:58:07

How do people manage ?
I've literally just started a job I need to keep.
I've said I needed a mole removed twice to go to scans, I have another on Monday so that'll be a check up.
But I'm running out of ideas for the actual EC and ET plus if you work in an office sat down all day how much time off do you really need after ET ?
I don't want to ruin my chances of it working but equally don't want to be unemployed with or without a pregnancy

ChocolateRabbit Sat 20-Jun-09 16:04:11

I took 5 days off for the EC and ET which gave me 2 and a half days lying down and resting.

You will need to be off work for at least 24 hours after the EC so it is worth probably taking 3 days off minimum so you aren't stressing about heading back into work if they are running late with your ET for example.

If it helps, I've did FET in January and took only the day off for the ET itself. If I hadn't moved in the meantime I wouldn't have bothered. Both the original IVF and FET were successful so I don't think you have to rest to make it work.

Good Luck

whereeverIlaymyhat Sat 20-Jun-09 16:10:00

Thanks for that, I have a scan on Monday first thing so was hoping to go straight back to work after that and get away with it. Then EC should be Wednesday, with presumably ET on Friday ??? I wanted blasts really but that would be Sunday which I'm guessing they don't do ?

thaliablogs Sun 21-Jun-09 14:38:17

If retrieval is on weds, blasts would be monday (day 5) so you could still do that dep on number of eggs collected

You really don't need time off other than the day of EC - it's possible, but tough to go to work afterwards as you usually feel quite sore - and prob 1/2 a day for ET. You feel fine afterwards and no reason to lie around. Personally I took the whole week off the first time I did IVF and it was pointless, since then I've just taken off the day of EC and either a 1/2 day or full day the day of ET depending on how busy things are at work. A bunch of studies show that there is no difference in success rates between those who rest after ET and those who don't, so don't worry about that.

Good luck!

cathcat Sun 21-Jun-09 14:50:52

Could I hijack to ask a question?
My friend had eggs implanted (is this ET?) two weeks ago. When would she know if she is pregnant? I don't want to be nosy/intrusive and ask her, just waiting to be told if she wants to IYSWIM.

londonlottie Sun 21-Jun-09 15:25:34

Message withdrawn

londonlottie Sun 21-Jun-09 15:30:37

Message withdrawn

barbigirl Sun 21-Jun-09 16:03:21

I agree about the 'gynaecological investigations' excuse- most people are so clueless they'll leave it at that.

So much good luck and don't pressure yourself about resting and relaxing! My first I took time out, luxuriated and wafted round- didn't work. Second time was using lap top on the bed before I went in for EC and was working again a couple of hours later - and it worked. I reckon the bare minimum is one day off for EC. You could always call in sick on the day of the EC and say 'the hospital have called you in' which isn't 100% a lie.

whereeverIlaymyhat Sun 21-Jun-09 22:19:33

Thank you for the replies, I've kinda sown the seeds with the mole removal, so tomorrow will be a check up followed by more tests on wednesday (EC) and I'll get signed off til Tuesday with the embroy's on board by then, then everything crossed, especially my legs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now