Talk

Advanced search

I may have cocked up on the pill, advice please!

(4 Posts)
babyignoramus Thu 18-Jun-09 15:08:12

I have been back on the mini pill for about two months now (DS is 16 weeks). The mini-pill has a tendancy to make my periods occur more often but they are very light and I posted a while back as I was worried my period might be an implantation bleed but it was defo a period (my hormones are still a bit haywire so I've lost touch a bit with whats going on). I had a period two weeks ago and DH and I have done the deed a few times since then.
The reason I am a bit worried is that it has taken me a while to get back in the habit of taking the pill - while I am pretty sure that I have taken it every day (it is the type that you take every day without a break and has to be within a 3 hour window), I am also pretty sure that I ovulated this week. I have had my two main ovulation signs - extreme randiness blush and EWCM. This would mean that DH and I had sex in the couple of days before ovulation. As I understand it, the pill is supposed to stop you ovulating, so it's either not worked or I've ballsed up.

I am at a bit of a loss here. Do I carry on taking the pill, knowing that there is a possibility that we may have conceived again? DS only took two attempts so I know I am pretty fertile. Common sense is telling me that the sensible thing would be to do a test just to make sure, but when?

Sorry to post such a stupid sounding question but I can't believe what a minefield I've found post baby contraception to be and how hard I've found it to get back in the 'not TTC' mindset.

Thanks in advance

Owlingate Thu 18-Jun-09 15:23:11

AFAIK the minipill isn't supposed to atop you ovulating (unless you're on cerazette) - it just makes your womb lining unfavourable to implantation and thickens your cervical mucus to stop sperm getting in. BTW we conceived DS whilst on minipill, its only 92% effective even when used properly. Didn't do him any harm tho.

babyignoramus Thu 18-Jun-09 15:40:28

I'm on Micronor. I didn't realise the mini-pill doesn't stop ovulation, that's a relief at least. I'm a bit concerned though as I have IBS and it's been quite bad this week (diahorrea - sp?). Can't believe that hasn't occurred to me until now!

Owlingate Thu 18-Jun-09 15:59:49

Yup micronor's the one I was on! I'd carry on taking it but take a PG test in a couple of weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now