Talk

Advanced search

hysteroscopy

(9 Posts)
sue10 Fri 12-Jun-09 19:29:28

Hi ladies,
i just wondered whether any of you have had one done under a local as oppose to a general?
Thanks
sueXXX.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 12-Jun-09 19:43:54

Yes I have - it was fine. I never have general anaesthetics (have bad reactions to them and prefer to be awake). It's a bit nerve racking but the anaesthesiologist talks to you all the way through so it's fine.

sue10 Fri 12-Jun-09 19:54:47

Many thanks for your reply, gratelt appreciated. Did you have a sedative? and did they take a biopsie of the linning of your womb? Hope you dont mind the questions!
sueXXX.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 12-Jun-09 19:59:04

Actually I had an epidural! It takes ages because they have to move you about to make it work and you have to lie still or in my case sit on the edge of the gurney while they put it in. They don't do it often in this country because people here like to be put to sleep (weirdos! wink) but it's better in lots of ways. I had a hysteroscopy and laporoscopy at the same time. They only take a biopsy if they find anything - what they tend to do is stick a camera in just below your tummy button and have a look around and shoot a blue dye through your cervix and through your fallopian tubes to check it all comes through okay (obviously if the tubes are blocked they can tell from this). Then they structurally inspect them for congenital abnormalities etc and come out and sew you up.

Then you spend a week farting out the gas and having shoulder pain from it! hmm

It's all right though and you generally get the results the same day.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 12-Jun-09 19:59:04

Actually I had an epidural! It takes ages because they have to move you about to make it work and you have to lie still or in my case sit on the edge of the gurney while they put it in. They don't do it often in this country because people here like to be put to sleep (weirdos! wink) but it's better in lots of ways. I had a hysteroscopy and laporoscopy at the same time. They only take a biopsy if they find anything - what they tend to do is stick a camera in just below your tummy button and have a look around and shoot a blue dye through your cervix and through your fallopian tubes to check it all comes through okay (obviously if the tubes are blocked they can tell from this). Then they structurally inspect them for congenital abnormalities etc and come out and sew you up.

Then you spend a week farting out the gas and having shoulder pain from it! hmm

It's all right though and you generally get the results the same day.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 12-Jun-09 19:59:25

Oops pressed send twice.

sue10 Fri 12-Jun-09 20:07:25

Thank you, perhaps i will enquire about having the epidural as oppose to having anaesthetic put in the cervix, sounds better.
Thank you
XXX.

MrsHappy Fri 12-Jun-09 20:13:12

I think WMMC's farting and shoulder pain might have been more to do with the laparoscopy because they inflate your tum with gas for that, whereas with a hysteroscopy they just shine a torch around inside your uterus and snip off any interesting bits. They might possibly inflate your womb with some gas but I bet that comes out more easily than when they inflate your abdomen for a lap (there being a more obvious exit route for it!).

My hysteroscopy was under GA so I can't answer the OP's question but I had zero pain after mine (no biopsy though - the supposed growth wasn't there afterall!). Barely any bleeding either. Was surprised by how not a big deal it seemed, especially since it's more usual to have a GA.

sue10 Sat 13-Jun-09 07:33:01

Thanks mrshappy,
i think it would propbably be better done under a general but it scares me soooooo much, hopefully the injection into the cervix wont be too bad! Maybe others will pop by who have had it done with a local. and share their experiences unless everyone has the general op.
Thanks again.
XXX.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now