Talk

Advanced search

If you got pregnant at first attempt for first DC ...

(17 Posts)
SlipSlaps Wed 10-Jun-09 11:02:53

... how long did it take for subsequent DC(s)? I am only asking as my DH is insisting we wait to TTC for our second DC for various very annoying (in my view) reasons and is convinced that we will get pregnant again the moment we even think of it (all down to his super-sperm of course)! I'm not so sure, I'm really anxious about it and keep telling him that it could take forever this time ... whilst secretly wanting to believe it will be first time very very lucky like with our DD. So I just wondered what was other people's experience?

DeepGoat Wed 10-Jun-09 11:04:20

dd took one shot and we have been trying for 4 years for the next one. you can't really plan these things. chances are you will get pregnant really quickly again.

SlipSlaps Wed 10-Jun-09 11:04:22

Oh, sorry everyone, just seen very similar thread further down! I hope I haven't committed an annoying mumsnet crime.

ginnny Wed 10-Jun-09 11:05:56

With both of my pregnancies I came off the pill, had one period and then pregnant!!
I don't think there's any medical reason why it should take longer second time.

weegiemum Wed 10-Jun-09 11:07:02

I got pg with dd1 on first shot.

Then got pg again first shot then had a m/c (dd1 was 12 months)

Then got pregnant 2nd month with ds (dd 1 was 16 months)

Then got pregnant with dd2 without even trying. (ds was 13 months)

You can't take an anecdote as real evidence, but that was our experience.

KirstyJC Wed 10-Jun-09 11:09:00

Both DCs were first month of trying! (And I was 34 second time - not expecting that!). DH said of course his 'super sperm' were the reason...cue lots of strutting around and 'manly' sitting on sofa with legs splayed and hands cupping his balls...!! (Why DO men do this??)

weegiemum Wed 10-Jun-09 11:11:18

Mind you, my dh was a bit sad at never having to "try" for a baby. He was looking forward to months and months of glorious shagging, only for me to get pg and go off sex cos I was throwing up ......

OrmIrian Wed 10-Jun-09 11:12:20

Second time it was instant - I mean the first month. Third time - we weren't even trying hmm

woodstock3 Sat 13-Jun-09 21:17:07

ds1: took a month
no 2: six months and still trying
depends on your age i'd say. i didnt want to start trying again right away as was just too damn knackered to face being pregnant again until ds was about 18 months but now of course i am convinced i've left it too late (am 37). i'd be guided more by your age than by what happened first time.
the only other thing i'd say is that while i knew it was relatively unusual to conceive so fast, it did make me complacent - i told myself it'd take longer this time but didnt really secretly believe it would, so of course while in the grand scheme of things ttc'ing for six months unsuccessfully is not the end of the world, i am panicking more than i maybe would have if the first time round had taken this long.

difficultdecision Sun 14-Jun-09 17:32:24

Was pregnant with DS the first month we decided to stop 'not trying' IYKWIM. Same this time although only 7/8weeks so praying it sticks.

It is completely unpredictable - both times we were hoping for 6m or so of happy trying....

suwoo Sun 14-Jun-09 17:44:44

Second time, we got caught on the second month of trying. With number three, we did it once unprotected after I assured DH I wasn't on a fertile day. Oops blush

Tidey Sun 14-Jun-09 17:50:31

DS took two months.
DD took five years.

Much bigger age gap than I wanted, but sometimes it just happens that way. As far as I know there was no particular reason it took so long to conceive again. I'm just very glad we got there in the end smile

thell Tue 16-Jun-09 10:59:58

Yes, it looks like it varies pretty widely!
DD was a one-shot-wonder (yes DH did strut about telling everyone too, and he normally avoids talking about stuff like that!)
We are still trying for #2 after a year.

canttouchthis Tue 16-Jun-09 20:06:45

thell, we are in the same boat. looks like there will be at least a 3 yr gap between DS and the next one (if there ever is a next one, feels like it's never going to happen at this rate!)

wish we could have an 'accident' without actually having an 'accident', but knowing you want it makes it take even longer to happen.
the first time it happened without any thought (having a baby wasn't even in my mind at the time).

swings and roundabouts...

rusmum Tue 16-Jun-09 20:46:53

i got caught with DD1 over a week in spain so 1st attempt- dd2 was a one off (literally) we tempted fate once- voila!!

fanjolina Tue 16-Jun-09 21:28:27

First attempt with DC1, 3 years of trying for DC2.

Tambajam Tue 16-Jun-09 21:33:50

First month of trying both times. I hesitate to post that as I know how awful and painful TTC can be for some. But I mention it as your DH may not be completely daft if your gap could potentially be quite small. Depends a bit on your age and how much time you have to play around with perhaps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now