Advanced search

Probably a daft period question :(

(3 Posts)
lulabelle Sun 07-Jun-09 19:01:37

I have very irregular periods which have slowly over the past year become more regular:

July 5
Aug 15 (41 days)
Nov 14 (91 days)
Jan 7 (53 days)
Mar 6 (58 days)
Apr 30 (55 days)
Jun 7 (38 days)

I have had two noticeable ovulation days with loads of EWCM in June and December 2008.

My question is, some months it is just clean blood, then other months I get what looks like clots of blood and/or red EWCM. Are the clots actually parts of the released egg?

This is probably a loony question, I was pg with both my DC's during times I was having no periods, so I do ovulate.

Can anyone help? Or, has anyone got similar patterns? I do suffer mild PCOS and GP is aware of the situation.

Thanks for reading, hope you can help.

sonsmum Sun 07-Jun-09 19:24:40

You won't be able to see a released egg at all in menstrual blood as it is microscopic. Appearance of clots is quite normal and may differ month on month due to heaviness of flow.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 07-Jun-09 21:29:31

Hi lulabelle,

Your cycle is typical of a PCOS related cycle and I am not surprised to see that you have been previously diagnosed with PCOS. I would also think that you have ovulated very infrequently during this time if at all. Usually most cycles over 35 days are anovulatory in nature. However, some women with PCOS can ovulate spontaneously but its usually on an infrequent basis.

Unless ovulation was confirmed by blood tests you cannot assume that ovulation actually happened. Clots can be related to the cycle length and are part of the endometrium lining; such things can more often occur after a very long cycle as the lining builds up.

PCOS should be carefully managed by a gynae particularly when it comes to ttc as many women with PCOS will require some medical help in order to conceive.

PCOS is a very individualistic disorder and affects each woman with it very differently. What may be a problem for one is not so for another.

Generally speaking as a fellow PCOSer I would try and stay within the correct weight range for your height as excess weight can exacerbate symptoms.

Your GP should refer you to the specialists at the hospital subfertility unit as a matter of course. This is not a condition that should be messed around with by GPs as they cannot monitor you properly.

You may want to look at Verity's website if you have not already done so as it can be helpful for PCOSers:-

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now