Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

My Most Fertile Days Can Anyone Help ??

(23 Posts)
AngelCakeUmm Tue 03-May-05 15:49:07

Hi we are trying to concieve and have been trying for a few months now, We are getting quite desperate now so i am trying to work out when my most fertile days would be if my last AF was on the 14th April 2005 and my cycles have been every 24 days lately?

Can any of you point me in the right direction please

TIA xx

AngelCakeUmm Tue 03-May-05 16:05:14

Bump

george32 Tue 03-May-05 16:10:51

Generally, people tend to ovulate 14 days before their AF so you are likely to have O'd on the 24th April. This can differ for people though.
If you want to find out exactly then temping is a good way (check out fertilityfriend.com) as you have a definite temp raise after Ov. Plus you can use OPKs and check for EWCM.

Hope this helps. Good luck

dinosaur Tue 03-May-05 16:12:55

There is a very good book called something like "Taking Charge of your Fertility" by Toni Weschler which is absolutely brilliant. I really recommend it. She explains exactly how to chart your cycle so you can work out which are your most fertile days. I used it and got pregnant with DS2 in second month of trying and with DS3 in first month of trying.

RachelRog Tue 03-May-05 17:42:41

Hi Angel
I can also recommend that book.....was told about it on here and bought it from Amazon. Charting your temperature really does work and it gives some great things to look for.
Good luck xx

bubbly1973 Tue 03-May-05 17:53:49

angelcake, if your cycles have been every 24 days, it would be worth learning to read your charts to see when you been ovulating, as you may be able to tell if your luteal phase is long enough

luteal phase is the days after ovulation to the day your period starts....many women have 14 days luteal phase, i think if the luteal phase is short then the egg may have difficulty implanting as the womb wouldnt have time to thicken

maybe someone with a 24day cycle can give out more info...its not to say that you still dont have a luteal phase of 14days just because your cycle is a short one, but if you temp then you will have more info to take to the doctors

hth

zippy539 Tue 03-May-05 17:55:59

I completely second the recommendations both for the Toni Weschler book and fertility friend website. We tried for three years aiming at days 12/13/14 and only after checking out that book, and that site, did I discover I wasn't ovulating until day 18. I get v pissed off with all the emphasis on day 14 ovulation - as george32 says, it's not always the case!

Good luck

Twiglett Tue 03-May-05 17:57:44

Boy do I get fed up of hearing you ovulate 14 days before your period

the 14 days is a statistical average meaning many women will have longer and many women will have shorter lengths of time

it is amazing how many medical professionals get it wrong too

the important thing is finding out when you ovulate

you can use OPKs (ovulation predictor kits) expensive but easy to use after getting used to using them

toni weschler book is fabulous, but temping, checking out cervical fluid / position of cervix isn't for everyone

good luck

AngelCakeUmm Tue 03-May-05 17:58:12

Thankyou for all your help i am going to buy the book of amazon. I used to have 28 day cycles but i had a mc in november and after that i only had 2, 28 day cycle now they seem to be 24 days i never had to worry about any of this when i was trying for my ds but seems to be alot harder this time.
Thankyou again

bubbly1973 Tue 03-May-05 17:58:56

zippy, its very annoying when even the doctors and nurses and most of the literature says you ovulate on day 14 of cycle

it simply isnt the case, thats text book stuff, and imo most people who i know in rl arent text book at all and neither am i

but note how when going through blood test to check hormone levels they still send you based on a text book cycle!!!

Twiglett Tue 03-May-05 17:59:36

BTW if you ovulate less than 10 days before your period starts you will probably need help (low dosage clomid) as it doesn't leave enough time for egg to implant before womb lining starts to disintegrate .. called a short post-luteal phase

which is another reason why it is so important that people understand the 14 days is statistical average

ebbie22 Tue 03-May-05 17:59:49

R U STILL THERE?

AngelCakeUmm Tue 03-May-05 18:00:20

Twiglett are the OPK tests easy to use maybe i should try these first?

Twiglett Tue 03-May-05 18:04:17

yes - you just wee on them in the morning (like pregnancy test) and wait 3 minutes and it tells you whether you are due to ovulate in the next 24 - 48 hours so you know to BD

the first 2 months, I needed to use 14 tests (2 packs at £22 a time), but after that I got a hang on when I would ovulate so only used about 4 a month

AngelCakeUmm Tue 03-May-05 18:06:26

Thanks twiglett i will probably purchase some its a start anyway, i think i need to start trying a bit harder and learning about how y body is working

AngelCakeUmm Tue 03-May-05 18:07:31

Is there anywhere i can order the OPK online? wheres cheapest anyone know?

george32 Tue 03-May-05 18:11:38

OPKs are great Angel.
I got some cheap ones from ebay and then bought some expensive clearblue ey ones for the days that the cheapies looked like they were positive so I could confirm properly.
The advice I got was to dip the tests into a pot of wee rather than wee on them as you get a better result!!
I had a positive result in the first month on ey OPKS!!
Have you had a look at the www.orderyourbabyhere.com thread? Lots of info & lovely helpful ladies on there and it did start out as a post m/c TTC thread. (also, very lucky at the moment!!)

Roobedoo Tue 03-May-05 18:12:34

Try Access Diagnostics (think it's .co.uk) they sell OPKs really cheaply.

george32 Tue 03-May-05 18:13:10

Ebay is cheap or have a look at this one

george32 Tue 03-May-05 18:13:59

I think my link is to access diagnostics (it seems to have lots of names!!)

ebbie22 Tue 03-May-05 18:18:41

There is a website,where it tells you the most fertile days,if you brought the opks then you could check them on them days,that should help you and you hopefully wouldnt need to go thr to many of thm xx

AngelCakeUmm Tue 03-May-05 18:32:04

Thanks for all the advice its really nice to know there are people out there than can help me and put e on the right track as i am new to all of this really with my ds it just happened within 3 months!
Thanks george32 i will go and look at that thread i need some luck on my side

bunny2 Tue 03-May-05 20:29:04

Angel, do you want my copy of the toni weschler book and Natural Solutions to Infertility: How to Increase Your Chances of Conceiving and Preventing Miscarriage by Marilyn Glenville ??

I was about to sell them on Amazon (Amazon refers to the books as 'perfect partners'). I used them to get pg twice! They are as good as new and, if you want them you can have them both for £10 +pp

Let me know if you want them and do try fertilityfriend.com, I used that too! Something worked, I now have a gorgeous ds and beautiful dd . good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: