Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Can you have period pains and be pregnant?

(15 Posts)
timmette Thu 30-Apr-09 18:15:45

We are ttc 2 and didn't manage to bd on peak days just 2 days before - and now I am on cd 29 - not sure how long cycle is as had a mc early this year. I have been having period pains so was pretty sure af is on the way - but have also been super exhausted this week and felt like I was getting the flu. Is it possible to be pregnant from bd begore ovulation and have period pains am slightly confused - no that's a lie very confused grin. Can anyone offer advice - please.

MrsHappy Thu 30-Apr-09 20:04:51

Yes, having sex in the few days before ovulation is a good way to get pregnant, since sperm can live and fertilise an egg for up to 5 days (although 3 days probably more realistic).

Yes period-type pains can be a symptom of pregnancy. With my first pregnancy I took lots of painkillers and got drunk, so sure was I that the cramps meant my period was on its way. I got one hell of a shock a couple of days later when I peed on a stick out of boredom and habit and got a BFP.

timmette Thu 30-Apr-09 20:13:47

Didn't have any period pain with ds - and have had a margarita today blush thinking af would arrive - I guess it could still turn up - not getting too hopeful .

elvislives Thu 30-Apr-09 20:32:25

Yes

Neeko Thu 30-Apr-09 21:11:46

Hi Timmette. I remember you from the miscarriage thread. I've heard of lots of women who've had period like pains and been pg. Hope this is the case for you. Don't worry about margarita - one can't do much harm. Let us know how you get on.

ash83 Thu 30-Apr-09 21:26:36

yes i had really bad period like pains when we were ttc.i never had a period but kept getting negative results.(i did have polycystic ovary syndrome)10 weeks after no period did another test and it was positive.went to the doc thinking only 4-6 weeks and they told me i was 16 weeks gone. it can happen good luck to all you ladys trying

timmette Sun 03-May-09 12:23:42

Hi everyone thanks for the replies - well still no af and no bfp yet either on day 32 - it's going to be a long week I think.hmm

MrsMattie Sun 03-May-09 12:28:36

Yes, every time I've been pregnant I've been convinced I was getting period...

JetLi Sun 03-May-09 12:43:31

Yep, yep, yep - was convinced my period was coming - felt rotten, plenty of pain, all the usual symptoms. Got to 3 days late and dug out a cheapo ebay pregnancy test that was 6 months past it's sell by date and had the "Holy Feck" moment during Top Gear grin

Reginamygina Sun 03-May-09 18:47:02

I was wondering exactly the same thing (in fact, came on conception to ask a very similar question).

I am on CD 27, and feel very hor-mental, PMT at its peak. Shall I just give up now (thinking I might be pg that is)??

No cramps or nothing, (well, a few teenage zits hmm), but I just have to look at dp and I get this urge to throttle him.

Could I still be preggers then, d'you think?

mistique10 Mon 15-Jun-09 20:20:33

im so confused can anyone help me??
i have been on the pill but always forget.i know i was ovulating because i had egg white discharge and it was time threw my cycle.i have had sex alot threw ovulating and forgot to take 4 pills.I have had slight dark discahrge but i think just cause i forgot to take my pill only had it for few hours.i have carried on taking my pill for the next 7 days.am having slight period-ish pain and in my back!is this a sign of conception or being pregnant?

help can any one comment??

mistique10 Mon 15-Jun-09 21:17:32

im so confused can anyone help me??
i have been on the pill but always forget.i know i was ovulating because i had egg white discharge and it was time threw my cycle.i have had sex alot threw ovulating and forgot to take 4 pills.I have had slight dark discahrge but i think just cause i forgot to take my pill only had it for few hours.i have carried on taking my pill for the next 7 days.am having slight period-ish pain and in my back!is this a sign of conception or being pregnant?

help can any one comment??

maryloo25 Thu 22-Jan-15 07:27:22

Hi Ihad artificial incemination 1 week ago today, and am really not sure if it's worked at all, we have had it once before but was unsuccessful, but I have bn needing to go to the toilet alot more and I am getting slight period pains at the moment, can this be a sign?

Mirmom Thu 22-Jan-15 14:18:00

irmom

I need advice ladies, it all started 4 weeks ago when I got really sick. Fever, chills, vomiting, etc. After taking theraflu most symptoms went away the next day except the vomiting, fatigue, weakness, and cough. Two days later I began getting dizzy along with the other symptoms. Eventually, days later, I went to the hospital because I thought it was the flu, but it wasn't. They did not know what it was. So, another week past and I still have the dizziness, nausea, extremely fatigue, and cold. After having sex, I began spotting as if my cycle was starting. It was moderately light the first two days appearing bright red. Then a week of spotting really light, brown. That stopped for a day or two then it started picking back up as if it was going to start with the heavy mucous with a little blood. The first day it started that it was a pinkish color. Then it stopled that day and went to light spotting (brown). The next day it did the same thinG only this time it was a brown. So again I thought it was beginning. Nope after that time when I would wake up it would lighten up. It did that for 3 days. Now, it's more of a consistent flow (red) but still not like my normal cycle. Heavier than before but not as heavy as it would normally be, this is day 4. Yesterday was day 3 and after bleeding most of the day. Towards the end it slowed down as If it was going to start spotting again. It seems it would only bleed heavier when I cramp. I woke up early out of sleep to go to the bathroom and it was more like the cycle blood. I still feel a little nauseated, and heartburn, constipation, no gas like normal. Rook a million pregnancy test but all negative, but I'm technically not due until Jan 25th. Have anybody experienced this? Could I be pregnant? Mind you I have a son already and usually I Pms a week before my cycle but this is different

butterflygirl1515 Thu 22-Jan-15 15:18:08

Hi,

Im TTC for the first time this month. Have been feeling really teary and hormonal last few days and have period type pains almost constantly. This is very unusual for me as only usually get them for a couple of days before Im due on. Its too early as my period isnt due till next Mon/Tues. So dont think if it AF playing me about just to be cruel or if I could be pregnant. Its doing my head in at the mo and will have wait till next week to POAS.

Best of luck to everyone else on here who are TTC.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: