Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

has anyone had blocked tubes and had healthy pg after treatment

(21 Posts)
dizzy36 Thu 28-Apr-05 16:19:37

I had an m/c last year and didn't notice for 3 days that had an infection. was treated and it cleared up but have found out today that 1 or both of my tubes may be blocked as a result of the infection. Am going to have an xray to confirm in a couple of wks but am wondering if anyone has experienced a problem with their tube(s) and gone on to have a healthy pg after treatment. I have been told that a laparoscopy may be required if x-ray confirms damage. My understanding was from what the dr said that if only 1 tube is blocked then still have a chance to get pg. If its both then may have to look at IVF. Would appreciate any comments. I know have only just got this information and am understandably shocked and upset but know nothing about this type of problem and would really appreciate any advice, comments or happy ending stories.

floppsy Thu 28-Apr-05 17:24:28

Hi dizzy,no advise sorry but hope it works out well for you,hopefully you'll have a happy ending.Have you any other children?

dizzy36 Thu 28-Apr-05 17:36:55

yes, a little boy, would hate for him to be an only child though. I just wish had gone for these tests sooner, I was convinced that their was nothing wrong with me considering had 2 prev pg. There is a slight possibility that the 'shadow' that appeared on my scan may be nothing (heres hoping!) but I think its more likely that there is something wrong considering blocked tubes can result from an infection and can cause infertility (bother of these factors apply to me).

floppsy Thu 28-Apr-05 17:44:33

Sure you'll be fine.Can't they just clean the tubes or do they have to remove them,sounds silly but don't know anything about it.

dizzy36 Thu 28-Apr-05 18:02:39

neither do I!. just found another 'chatsite' regarding blocked tubes and it talked about fluid and the procedures that can be done to unblock. To be honest I didn't even think to ask the doctor what the tubes were exactly blocked with (I just sat there nodding and say 'I see') its lucky my dh was with me because I wasn't taking it all in. I think its the uncertainty that has got me all stressed out at the moment. On one hand he said it possible that it may be nothing but then on the other if it is what he thinks (blocked tube(s). then I have just been very unlucky because its apparently not that common after an m/c infection. We've been ttc for 3 years in total and this latest blow has knocked me for six. Suppose its something else to accept and deal with. I going to try to not worry about it until after this xray has been done. Keep saying to myself that theres no point in worrying until I have to.

Flumpette Sat 30-Apr-05 09:15:54

Hi Dizzy. Me again. Yes if it's only one tube then you are able to get pregnant naturally but if it's two then the problems start.

I didn't look at option of unblocking as I was 37 and just wanted to 'get on with it' and we were lucky enough to have the savings to pay for private treatment.

As you know we were successful in 2004 and are doing another cycle right now.

From what I've read it is caused by either a condition called endometriosis or pelvic inflammatory disease. I haven't read that a m/c infection leads to pelvic inflamm disease though.

Now that you are over the shock and are armed with more information, would it be worth calling the Consultant and having another chat with him and you'll be in a better position to ask informed questions (not meant to sound patronising), but I know how awful I felt when I found out that both tubes were blocked and when Consultant started with asking me if I wanted to see photos I felt sick and didn't take in most of what she said. All I heard was 'NO BABY'!

dizzy36 Sat 30-Apr-05 10:31:01

Thanks Flumpette and you don't sound patronising at all, anything but, you've given me more info than the consultan who was very nice but vague. I had an infection after an m.c at 21 wks pg 12 months ago- it must have been nasty as put me on a drip for 24 hours. The consultant implied this combined with me not being pg after 12 mnths suggests that the 'shadow' seen on ultrasound could be damage from that infection. He didn't say that the infection might have turned into a PID which it must have done in order for me to now have the problems I am having - but I have had no other symptoms of PID (pain, heavy periods etc) and I've read that it can be a recurring problem. Consultant said I would have to have a laparoscopy especially if want to go ahead with IVF. Did you decide against having this procedure or is unblocking something else?

Flumpette Sat 30-Apr-05 13:49:35

Hi

The laporoscopy is investigative only to my knowledge or that's what mine was. I expect they may operate if they had permission and found anything untoward depending on situation eg. unblocking. I wouldn't go through IVF and the emotions and expense without having everything checked out first and my dh (husband, not sure what dh stands for, is it darling) had sperm tests. For example although I was 37 yrs old, the Consultant who did the lap. told me that I had severe damage and IVF was the only option.

I recommend Dr Robert Winston's The IVF Revolution and Anna Furse's Book, The Essential Infertility Companion.

They are fascinating and I sourced them from my local library. My Doctor at the IVF clinic looked at in a different light as I had so many questions as the IVF Revolution gave examples of what "a good clinic" would do and I needed for my sanity to ask those questions!

As I am the kind of person who wants to know the ins and outs whereas for some ignorance is bliss. The only thing is that it may make you worry about things that you wouldn't have thought of. For example, I read that the womb can be damaged with adhesions when there has been infection which would make it hard for implantation. Perhaps I shouldn't have read this. I think a straightforward scan would show if it were, but it does give you knowledge again so that you can ask the right questions.

My dh is saying at this very moment that he has lost me to the net and that I'm becoming a right little agony aunt. But joking aside I wish I'd had this support when starting out. GP's etc are not always as helpful as they could be or knowledgeable.

dizzy36 Sat 30-Apr-05 14:01:30

Do you mind me asking what the dr said had caused your blocked tubes (if thats too personal don't answer). I'm finding it hard to grasp that an infection I got after an m.c that was treated within days of getting it has caused damage. The reading I have done most women have had more serious infections.

Flumpette Tue 03-May-05 10:00:08

Hi. Endometriosis which is where your af ends up going to other parts of the body and causing issues.

I've read lots of web too and Sexually Transmittted diseases can cause it. Some of them have no symptoms and cause major issues ie. PID for the female but as always not the male. This can lead to infertility.

I've read about women who have had unfaithful partners and have caught an STD and one woman who had one partner and got it. Very sad.

Your consultant must know what he is talking about though (I'm no doctor, just read a lot). I assume mc stands for miscarriage. I haven't experienced an mc and it must be heartbreaking, so thoughts are with you there.

Have you read any books on subject of IVF?

Flumpette Tue 03-May-05 19:42:57

Dizzy - wanted to tell you today's news. You may have read another thread but know you look at this one often.

On day 11 of 2ww and couldn't stand the wait. Clinic advised if test 3 days early and get a BFP then pregnant, if a BFN then may not be true reading as HCG levels may rise over following 3 days.

So, dh walked in from work and we did a Clear Blue test and it showed BFP!!!!!!!

Cross had bold horizontal line and feinter vertical line, but it's definitely there.

Still have af type cramps but is normal.

So, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. I know there is a long way to go, but feel very blessed.

xxx

dizzy36 Wed 04-May-05 16:23:32

Congratulations Flumpette! that is brilliant news and well done for making it happen 1st time again!

Well, have got an apptment for xray next week (fri 13th!!) fingers crossed for good news

Flumpette Wed 04-May-05 20:13:19

Hi Dizzy. Good luck for next week.

The wait is just unbearable I know. x

cuzziemummy Tue 10-May-05 13:59:45

Hi there - there are a few products you can buy that help to reduce internal scarring and reduce inflammation from infections and therefore in theory unblock fallopian tubes without any need for an operation. One of the best things on the market is SerraPlus(www.goodhealth.nu/uk/1141) which you need to take for at least 3 months and possibly 6 months depending on the extent of the scarring. A good herbalist would be able to help too. Best of luck.

dizzy36 Fri 13-May-05 16:35:53

flumpett, just to let you know, x-ray showed my tubes are clear as can be. Very happy about it but am now wondering if everything is 'ok' y aren't I pregnant again. Just have to keep on trying I suppose and hope it happens soon, at 37 am not getting any younger. Hope your pgncy is going well.

floppsy Fri 13-May-05 17:04:42

Hi dizzy,sorry to jump in but read the thread & glad to hear the good news,at least you no that the tubes aren't the problem so hope everything goes well for you.

dizzy36 Fri 13-May-05 19:01:37

Thanks floppsy, its a huge releif that nothings wrong. But it doesn't necessarily mean that I will conceive again which is the worrying part. After my m/c last year we start ttc in March so its been about 14 months, something should have happened by now surely. As a lot of the ladies out their will know wanting a baby can take over your life a bit and I do tend to think about it all the time - I know the last time I was pg it took us a yr to conceive and the month that I did was when my husband was away for a few days around ovulation so I assumed missed that month and basically didn't think about it at all for the rest of that month. So am going to try really hard to be more relaxed about it! easier said than done though I know.

ja9 Fri 13-May-05 22:18:04

My mum had blocked tubes - was the reason she couldnt get pregnant. She had a wee op (or something in hospital??) and then later got pregnant with me (her first) and went on to have a second (altho' eachtime took a while to conceive).

Flumpette Sat 14-May-05 08:48:35

Hi Dizzy. That is FANTASTIC news. I have been thinking of you. It's horrific to be told one's tubes are blocked and that IVF is the only option. Having said that, for me it's worked out so well. I have my scan a week on Thursday, 26th May.

I can recommend a book by Toni Wechsler and I think it's called Taking Charge of your Fertility off the top of my head. A friend has it at moment. It just allowed me to feel in control as I fully understood my body and knew more about it than my GP. This is how I understood that there was something drastically amiss as I knew my cycle so well.

Having said that, I am one of those people who has to know everything to be able to cope whereas some find it better being ignorant to all the facts, so it may not be your thing.

Keep us posted. Flumpette x

dizzy36 Sat 14-May-05 14:22:18

Hi flumpette, you can imagine the relief me and my dh felt when told us everything was 'antatomically normal'. Was a bag of nerves b4hand - procedure wasn't too bad - a few minutes of discomfort rather than pain - but was wonderful to see my tubes on the screen doing exactly what they should be doing. I got the taking charge of your fertility book a few weeks ago and it is very good. Anyway, am going to keep on ttc and try to be more relaxed. let us know how the scan goes

Flumpette Sun 15-May-05 19:20:41

Hi. Yes, I can imagine and what a relief. It's brilliant news. I felt so useless and less of a woman when I was told about my problems. I have come to terms with it more now.

So you've got the book. It's so interesting isn't it and made me feel that I'd been totally ignorant for years about how one's body works.

Will keep you posted. Flumpette x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: