Talk

Advanced search

Help please! I need advice! Could i be PG?

(13 Posts)
CC83 Thu 28-Apr-05 15:58:32

Hi All!
I need some advise please.
In Decmeber last year i came of the pill, not to activley TTC but was having headaches so thought i'd give it a break. Spoke to DP about having a baby and decided that if it happens it happens. We have been having unprotected sex but he's been withdrawing!
Over the past months having a baby has been the topic of all of our conversations and we decided that we would now TTC. Two times this month he didn't withdraw. My cycle is quite irregular, used to be 28 days but over the past 2 months have for some reason gone to 34 days.
I am new to all of this charting business so forgive me, the first day of my last AF was 1st April, so that means my next AF will be 4th May right? How do you know when you Ovulate? we had unprotected sex 17th and 24th. I usually get cramping pains 1 week to the day before AF arrives so that means i should of got pains yesterday right? I have been having quite a lot of creamy discharge (really sorry if TMI) the past two days and quite a low dull pain that feels like i'm bloated or constatnly need a pee.
Could i be PG from having unprotected sex those 2 days?
Really need your help. I will be over the moon if i am but dont know if i'm dreaming this all up in the hope of being PG.

Laylasmum Thu 28-Apr-05 16:04:16

yes you could potentially be pg from having sex on those days as you usually ovulate aroung 14 days before you have your next period. are you calculating from the 1s day of your period? 'cos this is what you need to do. You will not be able to get a true result though until around 3 days before af is due or laving it until AF is actually late will give you a more definate result.Your symptoms could be early pg symptoms but they are also prementrual symptoms so you'll have to wait a bit longer to see!!! good luck

JanH Thu 28-Apr-05 16:05:52

In a 34-day cycle you should ovulate after 20 days (ie 14 days before the end of the cycle) - in your case that would be c April 21.

Sperm can live for 3-4 days (I think) and the egg hangs around for 2-3 (?) too so you would have quite a good chance with those dates - don't know if it's too early to do a test?

bubbly1973 Thu 28-Apr-05 19:53:19

i was always under the impression that the egg stayed for an hour and it was the sperm that lived 2 - 3 days...maybe im wrong...must look into that one, but right now i have to go

bubbly1973 Thu 28-Apr-05 19:53:48

an hour!!!! wrong wrong wrong...

meant to say the egg stayed for 24hours!

sorry

baka Thu 28-Apr-05 19:58:40

the egg dies after around 24 hrs, but sperm can stay for ages.

wordsmith Thu 28-Apr-05 19:59:17

Your cycle has become longer because you are not on the pill - when on the pill your are in a 'false cycle' because effectively the pill is making your body think it's pg, therefore protecting you from pregnancy. Therefore on the oill your cycle length was determined by the fact that you took your pill for a certain no of days and came off it for a certain number of days. So lengthening 'natural' cycle is perfectly normal.

Withdrawal is not a reliable method of contraception so you could have become pregnant on either of those days, or come to that any other day when you had sex but he withdrew!

wordsmith Thu 28-Apr-05 19:59:57

oh the oill? I mean on the pill.

JanH Thu 28-Apr-05 20:01:21

You're more likely to be right than me, bubbly - I have dredged that out of my ancient brain cells! In that case the 21st is possibly slightly too far away from either date but then again, in an irregular cycle who knows - ovulation could have been earlier or later...

psychomum5 Thu 28-Apr-05 20:03:49

Yup bubbly....24hrs for the egg (roughly anyway).

In actual fact, sperm can sometimes last for up to 7 days, which shocked me when I found that out!!!

bubbly1973 Thu 28-Apr-05 20:09:41

thats what they call supersperm!!

psychomum5 Thu 28-Apr-05 20:10:08

LOL

CC83 Fri 29-Apr-05 09:04:23

Thanks Ladies.
I guess i will just have to wait and see if i'm late. Roll on the 4th May. I need to know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now