Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

WANTED TO BE AN EGG DONOR

(17 Posts)
jambo1707 Sun 24-Apr-05 19:16:26

Hi all

looking for advice please. I contacted our local fertility hospital around a year ago offering my eggs for donation.

I have 3 kids, have been sterilised and wanted to help other to become mummy. I di get to speak to nursing staff who said they would have the sister call me back, still waiting 1 year on.

How many times am I expected to call and offer my eggs, time is ticking by as i have found out i need to have a hysterectomy and meet with consultant again end of may.

Please there must be a way for me to help these mummies to be have their cherub, I feel its a waste i aint using them so someone else could benefit from this.

What else should I do?

JanH Sun 24-Apr-05 19:35:22

How old are you, jambo? There is a fairly low maximum age (35?).

This is the contact page for the HFEA - I would email them and see what they say. Good luck.

JanH Sun 24-Apr-05 19:37:07

donor information page

jambo1707 Sun 24-Apr-05 21:39:08

i AM 29

AngelCakeUmm Sun 24-Apr-05 21:42:36

Goodluck Jambo and what a lovely thing to do

jambo1707 Sun 24-Apr-05 21:43:12

Thanx

just emailed edinburgh fertility clinic, need to know if i would always remain anonymous NEVER want to be traced you see

expatinscotland Sun 24-Apr-05 21:48:04

Unfortunately, jambo, anonymity for sperm and egg donors in the UK has ended. It was over at the end of March. Thenceforth, children conceived by them will be able to identify their genetic parents when they reach 18.

expatinscotland Sun 24-Apr-05 21:48:55

This isn't a link, b/c I don't know how to do those successfully, but full details are here if you want to cut and paste:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4397249.stm

cazzybabs Sun 24-Apr-05 21:50:45

I don't think you can stay anonymous anymore - the change in the law meant any one can ttrace their biological parents which means any child convived via your egg can trace you with info given to the cliic when they turn 18.

bubbly1973 Mon 25-Apr-05 09:22:42

jambo that is such a unselfish kind gift you can offer

i have to admit im far too selfish to give away my eggs, so well done you!

jambo1707 Mon 25-Apr-05 18:48:38

Thanx all

I just feel as I am not using them as i have had the kids i want that i could help others who are desperate for a child.

The only downfall now as you can imagine is the predicament of if the baby from my egg would trace me- I do not want that as i have my 3 sons and chose to have no-more and if they were to trace me that would be awful.

i suppose that is a risk I am willing to take to help another couple have the joy of children

mogwai Mon 25-Apr-05 18:57:21

what a lovely person you are. I've thought of doing the same many times, especially when I experienced the pain of being unable to conceive easily myself, but somehow I can't reconcile the idea of there being a child of mine somewhere out there.

You are very brave and I hope your desire to help others can come to fruition.

Good luck!

sarzy Mon 25-Apr-05 20:09:06

I'd suggest either looking for a local clinic through the hfea website or look in the yellow pages, they're often listed under clinics or fertility services. There is a real shortage of donors, so I'm surprised they didn't get back to you, perhaps you could ring again as maybe the message didn't get to the right person?

You should still be able to donate after a hysterectomy, (providing you keep your ovaries, but it's recommended that you do anyway).

Good luck.

expatinscotland Mon 25-Apr-05 20:41:30

You may also be able to find a private recipient.

jambo1707 Tue 26-Apr-05 20:13:03

Thanx again

I dont see it as being a child of mine as I would have nothing to do with it really

The reason i say that is they will obviously remove the eggs(ok they have my dna) but i dont know where ehat will happen to them and dont really want to as long as they do help another woman experience what i am and that is the joy of my wee cherubs.

I too tried for a long time to concieve ds1- 4 years in all, was about to be sent for ivf but mother nature playedme my wild card and ivf was not required, I fell pretty quick with my next too.

I emailed local fertility clinic sunday evening and havent heard anything again as yet, will try to phone again tomorrow after work.

MINNIE1 Wed 27-Apr-05 12:31:30

jambo1707

Just wanted to let you know that your a little star... The longing for a child is horrible and you are giving a couple a chance, gift that they crave.. Your something special and i am now in tears.. Well done you..

jambo1707 Fri 29-Apr-05 21:41:33

Hi

Just an update really. Still heard nothing from local hospital bout having my eggs

Beginning to wonder if these staff members really care about couples trying so desperatly to have a baby and my eggs are waiting to help a couple and they can't be arsed to call me(sorry about swear word, feel a bit let down just want to help someone benefit from my lonely eggs)

Am I now being selfish by expecting them to return my calls and emails?

I bet the staff have kids already and none of them need egg/sperm donors or i would soon have had a call dont you think?

Sorry for going on but feel I am now banging my head against a brick wall.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: