Talk

Advanced search

Support through current IVF Cycle

(94 Posts)
Flumpette Tue 19-Apr-05 10:15:28

I go for egg collection on Thursday. Excited and scared of failure.

Is anyone currently going through this?

BeachedWhale Tue 19-Apr-05 10:47:24

Flumpette, Not currently going through IVF but went through it a few years ago (with a happy result). Just wanted to wish you luck. Don't be scared. The egg collection for me was a bit uncomfortable but not too bad. I was more worried that DH would not be able to "perform" on the day to fulfill his side of the bargain. Take it easy afterwards. You can be a bit woozy. I went to bed and got DH to wait on me and bring me chocs and magazines. Focus on the excited part of you not your fear of failure. You really just have to get through one hurdle at a time.

wendy11 Tue 19-Apr-05 13:01:18

Flumpette

I start the nasal spray on the 27/04 and the injections on 21/05 with an expected egg collection date of 02/06, so coming right along behind you. This will be my first IVF cycle and worried about failing at all stages, but just have to try and keep a relaxed attitude and think positive....easier said than done when you desperately want it to work for you. Hope everything goes according to plan for you and please keep in touch and let me know how you are doing

Eeek Tue 19-Apr-05 13:12:31

Hi - 4 cycles, the last successful. I just wanted to say it isn't YOU that fails - the cycle fails and it isn't anyone's fault if it does. The old-fashioned way only has a 25% success rate - it's just they get to try more often.

Have you read Lord Winston's book (forget the name) in it he says he has scientific evidence that having a glass of wine on the transfer day resulted in higher conception rates. The rates were even higher if the wine was red. The collection is unpleasant but no more than that. The drugs they give you make you weepy. You might bleed a little - a perfect excuse for chocolate - it has iron in you know!

bubbly1973 Tue 19-Apr-05 14:58:00

flumpette, not gone through ivf, but just wanted to wish you luck for thursday...so good luck!!

keep us updated, would love to know how you got on

Flumpette Tue 19-Apr-05 19:59:12

Thank you all for your support. Wendy11, it will be great to keep up to date with you and to help eachother along the way. I went through IVF in 2003 and it worked first time and we had a beautiful baby in 2004. So I am very excited but also very apprehensive as I don't know how hard I will fall emotionally should it not work, but not as stressed as last time as although it's hard looking after a baby I am not stuck in an office having to be articulate.

Will keep you posted. Flumpette x

Pruni Tue 19-Apr-05 20:07:31

Message withdrawn

Pruni Tue 19-Apr-05 20:09:41

Message withdrawn

Flumpette Tue 19-Apr-05 20:53:03

Hi, I don't know how that is done. Enlighten me! Know what you mean. As a rule I am positive about this as the odds are higher. Our chances are 1 in 2 (last time they were 1 in 4). If we are successful there is a 1 in 4 chance of twins! So, I am focussing on it working but a small part of me is worried in case it doesn't. Hope that makes sense. I am definitely not so stressed about it as I feel so very lucky to have our little boy. He is a joy and we would very much love for him to have a sibling for the future, especially when we won't be on this earth for his whole life.

Pruni Tue 19-Apr-05 21:17:52

Message withdrawn

wendy11 Tue 19-Apr-05 22:36:47

For those of you who have been through IVF before, could you please tell me if you went back to work during the 2ww or stayed at home and tried to get as much rest as possible. I had planned on taking the 2 weeks off but have had conflicting advice about what I should do. Don't think I could concentrate at work so would probably be better at home. Any advice would be appreciated.

Pruni Tue 19-Apr-05 22:43:34

Message withdrawn

wendy11 Tue 19-Apr-05 22:50:46

Thanks Pruni
Think I will take the two weeks off and then as you say I can't blame myself for it not working because of something I have done at work.

Monstersmum Wed 20-Apr-05 10:48:24

Hi - just wanted to wish you luck. I have a 3 yr old boy conceived through IVF and am seeing consultant this afternoon to discuss timetable for trying again. Bit worried as I will be 41 next month but consultant who checked me over reckoned my gynae age was younger then my real age!!

I am living in Budapest and will have the treatment here.

Good luck - try (hard as it is) to stay positive and relaxed - if you do decide to take the time off work plan lots of nice things to do.

xx

Flumpette Wed 20-Apr-05 11:27:30

Hi. Our odds are good due to the Lister Hospital having such good stats from previous cycles. I am 38 and have had a successful cycle and the odds have got a lot better as you saw. We were amazed at this but also excited. When I had the first successful IVF cycle I got up at 5.20am every day to go to the city to work to do my 7.5 hours to get home asap. It was an office job so I wasn't lifting anything. I think being at home for those 2 weeks would have been torture as I agree it would seem like an eternity. So I wouldn't have changed that. Now I'm at home with a 13 month old so he keeps me very busy. Worth pointing out that the cyclogest (oestrogen) made me bloated and I ensured that I had clothes to hide my protruding tummy (probably not as bad as I thought it was). Good Luck. Let's keep one another posted.

006 Wed 20-Apr-05 12:06:12

Sorry, I don't want to hijack, but a dear friend is starting her first IVF treatment soon. I want to be supportive and wondered if there is anything I should do/avoid etc. I am especially wary as I am pregnant at the mo and have been for most of the last 5 years (it seems).

As you ladies are in the thick of it, maybe you could steer me in the right direction?

Flumpette Wed 20-Apr-05 12:28:29

Hi. Very difficult situation. I personally felt the 'warm fuzzies' when any of my friends told me they were expecting. This was especially so if they were in my age group regardless of the fact they hadn't had IVF. It gave me hope. I guess be there to listen without commenting too much unless asked a direct question as it helps to talk. Depending on the relationship why don't you ask her how and what sort of support she wants from you? Having said all that only my husband and I knew when we were actually beginning the cycle as we didn't want the pressure of friends and family calling to see how we were doing. If I had told a friend it would really have helped if she/he had read up on the internet about the basic steps so that there was already an understanding. Now that would be a very positive thing? Good Luck to your friend and congrats on your pregnancy.

006 Wed 20-Apr-05 12:30:42

Thanks, I will read up and be wise and silent. As opposed to usual gobby self!

I do try not to grumble too much about pregnancy nasties as that does seem insensitive. Thanks for congrats - if only I could get the wee beastie out!

Flumpette Wed 20-Apr-05 12:36:44

Yes, if only, I remember that feeling well. Very hard work!

Pruni Wed 20-Apr-05 14:35:25

Message withdrawn

006 Wed 20-Apr-05 14:45:55

Oh that's good. I tend to be grusomely interested in procedures etc. I think you are all so brave to go for it as it sounds like such a big thing to go through. I love my babies, but I'm not sure I could have handled all that, had my hand been forced. Probably would have ended up mad with spoiled pets.

dyzzidi Wed 20-Apr-05 15:18:45

I'm awaiting IVF at present I just need One more surgery first so am reading with great interes. I't hadn't even occured to me to taake two weeks off work but then I work in an office so it's not a manual job. I don't live far from the clinic so thats not a problem. Any advice would be appreciated.

bayleaf Wed 20-Apr-05 19:15:24

Just wanted to wish you lots of luck Flumpette - I've been there, done that, got the T shirt so to speak..
If you want more detailed ivf advice/conversation then the bulletin board at www.care-fertility.com is excellent
( think that's the address - there 's a possibility the hyphen isn't there!)

Flumpette Fri 22-Apr-05 04:56:01

Hi. Still reeling from Pruni's comments with respect to so called friends' viewpoints. Even if they thought it, very bad form to view it to you. Unbelieveable! I had comments from a work colleague at the time when I was pregnant but he didn't know I was doing IVF. He ovbiously knew nothing about the true process but he had very strong views.

Well it's 4.50am and I can't sleep. We had egg collection yesterday under general anaesthetic and the results are promising. 5 eggs (had 6 last time). The Doctor said they are mature and were easily extracted (I hadn't thought about how easy they'd be to collect). I am a little sore on the left ovary but he explained that I had 10 follices, two of which were smaller than the rest and that he was trying to retrieve eggs from them, hence the discomfort that I have. On a scale of 1 to 10, pain is a 2. ME, ME, ME! Not to forget my husband did a wonderful job and his sperm results were "perfect" quote from Doctor.

We will receive a call in the morning to tell us if they have fertilised and if so how many cells there are. We hope to have two transferred and 4 cells is optimum although 2-4 cells is good. Just praying that it will be good news. He was very hopefull due to our history.

Maybe I'll sleep have off loaded all that. This time round our families know the timings but others don't and who can I call at 4.55am! So thanks for listening all.

bayleaf Fri 22-Apr-05 16:16:05

OH GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
Fingers crossed for excellnt fertilisation....and grade 1 embryos of course!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now