Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

can the anti depressant drug citalopram make your mini pill not work?

(8 Posts)
madmissy Tue 03-Mar-09 22:16:53

does anyone know?

ShyTalk Wed 04-Mar-09 17:51:20

I understand that if you are taking a high dosage of citalopram, it may affect the working of the mini-pill. Were both of these prescribed by the same medical practice? If so, one would hope that this issue had been considered.
Do you have reason to think that your pill has failed?
If so, you obviously need to see a medic asap. If it is a general "what if" question, it may also be best to go back to Dr and check that the medications don't conflict.

madmissy Wed 04-Mar-09 18:03:19

i originally started on 20mg and am now on 40mg the doctor knows i am on the pill and tbh i've been complete mess and very forgetful so it may or not have been mentioned im sure its not.... hmm

i have another thread on conception which has left me baffled...

had some bizarre spotting no where near to what i would call a period and i am not due on until next tues/wed and some other ood symptons which could be something or nothing

where did you find the c/mini pill info? i was googling for hours last night and have not found anything

please come back <<hopeful look lol>>

ShyTalk Wed 04-Mar-09 22:25:18

Nowhere online, it was just what I was told by GP when I was prescribed citalopram. He told me in a stern-ish way not to forget to take the pill.
madmissy, you have some symptoms that you should probably tell your GP about.
Hope it is all OK.

brettgirl2 Thu 05-Mar-09 08:33:09

tbh I'm not convinced about the general reliability of the mini pill. I would do a test if you have any suspicions.

TotalChaos Thu 05-Mar-09 08:37:35

I take Prozac and mini-pill, and noone has ever suggested to me that it would affect the mini-pill. The mini-pill does cause irregular bleeding so spotting wouldn't be unusual on it IME.

TotalChaos Thu 05-Mar-09 08:38:10

I'd just nip into a pharmacy and ask the pharmacist about it.

madmissy Thu 05-Mar-09 15:07:04

thanks girls i actually have the doctors in a hour so i will ask whilst i am there

thanks fo replys smile

think it would be too early to test tbh as my last period started on the 13th of feb so should be due next week i think

my body is like clockwork though thats why i have my suspicions

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: