Talk

Advanced search

Making a baybee

(10 Posts)
nybor Tue 17-Feb-09 12:13:25

I am trying to conceive and have found it difficult to not smoke when drunk. I only smoke when pickled but love to get pickled once a week, which I guess is binge drinking. (Yes... I know that both are really bad when trying for a baby)

I am coming to terns with having to give up both which is scary. I enjoy a lively social life, especially during the summer months. I am also 39 so even more serious.

Anyone got any info to divulge? Top tips?

BTW I this is my first message, I am a newbie so if I make any mistakes please be kind.

Picante Tue 17-Feb-09 12:14:39

I guess if you can't stop completely, then try not to do either during the two week wait!

Minxie1977 Tue 17-Feb-09 12:47:23

This is not my top tip, but one which all my friends with babies gave me when I was TTC. They all told me to carry on enjoying myself until I found out I was PG. All of them have healthy children and all of them got drunk/smoked in the first few weeks they were PG - without knowing they were PG I hasten to add!

I was TTC for 7 months, the week before I found out I was PG I was pickled and smoked blush I am NOT PLEASED or PROUD about that - in my defense I'd been told I was not OV and thought I couldn't conceive. But when I told the Dr and tried to purge myself of the guilt, she said it's very common that people smoke/drink in the first few weeks when they don't know and not to beat myself up. I'm not advising you drink or smoke, but personally I don't think it will make much odds once a week while you are TTC.

I thought it would be hard to give up drinking/smoking but now I'm PG I wouldn't even consider it - it def changed my perspective smile

RnR Tue 17-Feb-09 14:38:38

Thanks, I don't feel so alone and I can relax. I have actually given up smoking now and it is not a problem. I still fight against wanting to go out and binge but it is much easier now. wink

RnR Tue 17-Feb-09 14:38:40

Thanks, I don't feel so alone and I can relax. I have actually given up smoking now and it is not a problem. I still fight against wanting to go out and binge but it is much easier now. wink

RnR Tue 17-Feb-09 14:39:12

wink

beanieb Tue 17-Feb-09 14:43:13

I have a different point of view. If you are lucky and you fall pregnant quickly then you won't worry but if you try for ages and ages and still don't get pregnant I think you will start to worry 'was it the smoking', 'was it the binge drinking?'.

I would do everything you can to stop smoking as it really can have an effect on your fertility.

Minxie1977 Tue 17-Feb-09 18:08:30

That is very true beanieb - it all depends how much you are willing to change your life TTC. If I hadn't conceived when I did I would have stopped drinking/smoking anyway to try and help things along.

Minxie1977 Tue 17-Feb-09 18:08:30

That is very true beanieb - it all depends how much you are willing to change your life TTC. If I hadn't conceived when I did I would have stopped drinking/smoking anyway to try and help things along.

Minxie1977 Tue 17-Feb-09 18:09:03

Oops!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now