Talk

Advanced search

TIPS AFTER IUI FAILED

(13 Posts)
popadums Thu 07-Apr-05 09:30:59

We have unexplained infertility and have been trying for 2 years. Both gave up drinking, he gave up smoking 2 years ago. Had reflexology for 8 months and still meditating every day! Clomid failed. 1st attempt of IUI just failed. Stress is unbelievable! Doctor asked if had surgery on cervix as it was painful and difficult to get to during insemination??
Any helpful tips/advise will be greatly appreciated.

Chuffed Thu 07-Apr-05 09:58:07

No advise or helpful tips but big hugs of support coming across the web!!!!

welshmum Thu 07-Apr-05 10:31:26

Popadums, are you using progesterone after you've had the IUI treatment? My IUI attempts only worked when I used that. I've had 3 iui's resulting in a pg - all using progesterone after - might be worth asking the question? (when I didn't use the progesterone I didn't get pg)

I've had 3 clusters of 3 IUIs altogether - first time didn't get pg at the first attempt but did did at the second, 2nd time got pg first go (although had an m/c) 3rd session it was on the 3rd treatment (out of 3- how stressful is that)
Forgot to ask - are you using Clomid alongside the IUI?
My dh gave up coffee and his count got really improved after that - not that it was that bad anyway. He didn't give up alcohol though and neither did I
Don't beat yourself up about how incredibly stressful it is. Be as kind to yourself as you can - try anything that you think may relax you before treatment - acupuncture (I did that), massage, anything. From my own experience I know that it's hard for them to do IUI if you're stressed - and very painful for you too. The only thing that helped me during the procedure was to breathe and have a sympathetic person doing it!

MeerkatsUnite Thu 07-Apr-05 12:46:55

Hi,

Would have to say that unexplained infertility is actually no diagnosis at all. They have basically failed to find out what is wrong and its taken them two years to now get to IUI. Its really poor on their part.

What I would ask of you is to list all the tests you've had done to date and then discuss with them whether they feel you have been adequately investigated. Do you feel you have been adequately investigated?. Chances are some tests have not been done. I can give you a list of tests that can be missed if wished.

IUI is unlikely to work in the first month and several attempts may well be needed. Please don't feel too disheartened therefore about a first IUI.

I feel that some serious questions need to be asked and if you get nowhere with the current unit you are attending, would seriously consider a second opinion from another unit.

Do not be fobbed off!!!.

I wish you well

MeerkatsUnite Thu 07-Apr-05 12:47:16

Hi,

Would have to say that unexplained infertility is actually no diagnosis at all. They have basically failed to find out what is wrong and its taken them two years to now get to IUI. Its really poor on their part.

What I would ask of you is to list all the tests you've had done to date and then discuss with them whether they feel you have been adequately investigated. Do you feel you have been adequately investigated?. Chances are some tests have not been done. I can give you a list of tests that can be missed if wished.

IUI is unlikely to work in the first month and several attempts may well be needed. Please don't feel too disheartened therefore about a first IUI.

I feel that some serious questions need to be asked and if you get nowhere with the current unit you are attending, would seriously consider a second opinion from another unit.

Do not be fobbed off!!!.

I wish you well

MeerkatsUnite Thu 07-Apr-05 12:47:17

Hi,

Do not be fobbed off!!!.

I wish you well

MeerkatsUnite Thu 07-Apr-05 12:48:07

Apologies for repeated posts!

welshmum Thu 07-Apr-05 13:02:33

You don't necessarily need a diagnosis for IUI to work though Meerkat. We never got to the bottom of our problem - and neither do quite alot of couples. They did all the tests and there was no reason they could find for our failure to get pg.
After 2 years I just wanted to be able to have some sort of treatment and feel like I was getting somewhere. I think you should definitely carry on with the IUI popadums

mancmum Thu 07-Apr-05 21:51:20

I got pregnant on second IUI -- I did have acupuncture which may have helped... it has better success rates than reflexology in IF treatment..

Keep at the IUI -- my neigbour got PG on her third attempt and I know someone who did on their 7th...

Also I got pg naturally after trying for 18 months.. the only changes we made were DH gave up coffee and his boys strted swimming the right way!!

popadums Fri 08-Apr-05 14:50:24

Thank you to everyone that replied to our letter.
She's had blood tests done, tubes checked, folicles are being produced naturally, ovulation seems to be happening (clear blue tests) and his sample is fine.
The doctor that asked my wife if she ever had surgery on cervix as it was tilting wrong way (during insemination) doesen't work at hospital anymore, so we have unanswered questions??
Does anyone know of any other tests available?
Thinking of trying acupuncture and visiting a chiropractor about cervix.

It's been a great help to both of us looking at this website as friends and family just don't know what to say.

Pruni Fri 08-Apr-05 15:05:52

Message withdrawn

Pruni Fri 08-Apr-05 15:30:42

Message withdrawn

popadums Tue 12-Apr-05 15:52:53

Thanks Pruni.

Just read through some comments with regard to cervix and a few said they had theirs 'corrected' with a chripractor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now