Talk

Advanced search

Can ovulation happen six and a half weeks after a birth?!

(21 Posts)
bubble99 Thu 07-Apr-05 00:17:29

Ok. This seems a bit odd. DS3 was born by CS six and a half weeks ago. I've just noticed that my CM is ovulatory looking. It took us 11 months to conceive last time so I became an expert on CM. Lurvely eh?

I'm exclusively BF so if I am ovulating I'd be surprised but I had a few twinges earlier which felt like the mid cycle signs I used to desperately wait for. BTW, we want to conceive again ASAP so I'd be happy to know that ov was happening but this seems very soon whilst BF. What do you think?

kama Thu 07-Apr-05 00:21:27

Message withdrawn

lilsmum Thu 07-Apr-05 00:22:43

i am no expert bubble, but that does sound promising isnt it around 6 wks for periods to start back? but obviously with breastfeeding could be longer, with the twinges and CM its sounds like ovulation to me, good luck

sparklymieow Thu 07-Apr-05 00:39:57

Bubble, I know that you have had a rough time recently and I have followed all your posts, but I wouldn't concieve just yet, its just that after a CS your body is weak and the hospital would recommend a year (tho, I understand why you don't want to wait) I had DS by CS and two years later had DD1 by VACB, and even then I was sore on my scar.
Good luck in whatever happens, sounds like your body is gearing up anyway....

ghosty Thu 07-Apr-05 03:48:51

I went to school with a bloke whose sister was 10 and a half months younger than him, so yes, I guess it is possible
Having had 2 c-s's I would be cautious to TTC so soon though Bubble (although i know you are keen) as your scar is still pretty fresh ...
I was advised after both my two to wait a year before TTC ...

runtus Thu 07-Apr-05 08:25:22

I'm just under 11 months younger than my sister, so it is possible!

Mud Thu 07-Apr-05 08:26:28

yes, how do you think Irish twins are made

throckenholt Thu 07-Apr-05 09:03:34

could be. Is it possible that your body was geared up to handle two - so feeding one is less than it was expecting - hence it can go for ovulation too ? Hope that idea doesn't upset you.

But I would say ASAP in this case is too soon. You have just been through a twin pregnancy - your body (and your mind) does need time to recover (for you and for the next baby) - be careful and give it a few months before you "try again". Take time to enjoy what you have at the moment.

piglit Thu 07-Apr-05 09:21:01

My af came back when my ds was 7 weeks and I was exclusively bf. Do be careful - I am now 6 weeks pg with a 5 month old ds......

piglit Thu 07-Apr-05 09:22:07

My af came back when my ds was 7 weeks old and I was exclusively bf. Do be careful - I am now 6 weeks pg with a 5 month old ds......

Nemo1977 Thu 07-Apr-05 09:24:01

bubble i ovd when ds was around 6wks and was bf. Just be careful wiht ur c section scar cos if u were to get pg so soon it could cause problems...not saying it will mind..lol

piglit Thu 07-Apr-05 09:30:47

I've been told that I'll have a couple of extra scans to make sure the placenta doesn't attach to the scar tissue and will be monitored more closely but that overall it should be ok. It's not ideal and quite a worry - I would recommend being careful for a few months after a c-section.

expatinscotland Thu 07-Apr-05 09:54:51

yikes! my aunt got pregnant 6 weeks after a C-section. she ended up w/s/thing called 'placenta accreda' b/c she hadn't healed up properly. her pregnancy was very, very high risk as a result.

i don't mean to scare you, but it might be a good idea to contact a GP and get a referral to a gynaecologist to get the best advice on what to conceive again.

bubble99 Fri 08-Apr-05 00:06:56

If I were to get pregnant within the next couple of months, not that I'm planning to, I definately need time to recover and get to know Elijah. But if I did, would the scar on my uterus be able to cope? would it stretch gradually during the pregnancy, or is there are a chance it could rupture well before the end of the pg. Interesting to read your post piglit, will your Ob/MW be keeping an eye on your scar as well as monitoring the placental position. I understand that the scar can rupture during labour if trying for a VBAC. Not that I would try for one, after what has happened to me recently I would not take even the slightest risk with my next birth. But has anyone heard of a rupture before contractions started?

mears Fri 08-Apr-05 00:36:04

Bubble - my periods returned at 6 weeks while exclusively breastfeeding DS1, so yes it can happen. Definately make sure you are using contraception whether you have periods or not.

A section scar doesn't take any longer than any other part of the body to heal. It will be healed by now. If you did find yourself accidentally pregnant I would think that your body has physically recovered from surgery. Uterine rupture is very rare and I have not known of a scar rupturing prior to labour. It is possible though and i have seen quoted rate of 0.2% They can get very thin though, even years after a C/S. In years gone past women used to be advised to wait 2 years. That is no longer the case. It is down to the woman's preferenec and priorities.

suzywong Fri 08-Apr-05 01:01:50

mine too @ six weeks and ex BF both times

piglit Fri 08-Apr-05 09:53:04

bubble99 - it was the scar I was worried about too as it's still quite red but no one seems particularly concerned about it. Fingers crossed this all goes smoothly - will let you knnow.

bubble99 Fri 08-Apr-05 10:12:47

My last preganancy was a twin pg. If I'm lucky enough to conceive again, because my uterus has been stretched so much to accomodate two (large) babies. Would it mean that because there's so much "give" in my uterus the scar would be under less pressure? Unless, of course, it was another twin pg.

mears Fri 08-Apr-05 10:59:33

Bubble - although the uterus has been really stretched, it shrinks back to it's pre-pregnanct state. It would not grow to the size to accomodate twins if there is only one baby there. It may be a bit more roomy as it enlarges but i have seen a number of women who have had sinleton pregnancies after twins with no problems. After a number of pregnancies, if babies have more room in the uterus, they sometimes do not engage in the pelvis and have what is called an unstable lie where they change position almost daily. When that happens, a C/S delivery is most likely the outcome if the baby does not settle to head down. The previous scar is not necessarly at risk unless there are contractions with the baby in an awkward position.

chipmonkey Fri 08-Apr-05 11:24:47

Bubble, I had a CS at Christmas and a week ago I got a discharge which was exactly like the lochia you get for a few weeks after the birth. I have taken this as an indication that my uterus is not fully back to normal even though it should be by now. So take it easy! I would think it would be wise to wait a year before ttc after a cs.

piglit Mon 11-Apr-05 10:17:46

bubble99 - I have been to see my consultant and he has said that there's no evidence that falling pg soon after a c-section is dangerous. Obviously it would be better to give your body time to recover completely but I have been told that I can continue with my pg without any major risk to my health. Incidentally he did say that the main reason that they tell us to wait 6 months is because it's hard enough to bring up a newborn withoout all the first trimester sickness, tiredness etc. I can vouch for that...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now