Talk

Advanced search

Dumb question for lazy pill taker

(27 Posts)
dejags Wed 06-Apr-05 13:08:17

I have had a bad month with my pill. I forgot to take it twice - first forgotten one was on day 10 and the next on day 18.

I am of the opinion that it is very unlikely I could get pregnant - is there anybody in the know who could confirm this?

Ta
dejags

ja9 Wed 06-Apr-05 13:09:53

oooooohhhhhhhhhhhh dejags!!!!!

sure aren't you wanting another anyway?

happymerryberries Wed 06-Apr-05 13:10:38

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but yes you could be (if you don't want to be pg). You have not missed the 'worst' pills, which are those at the start and the end of the packet. But missing any pill in the cycle can result in ovulation happening, and missing two will increase that risk.

dejags Wed 06-Apr-05 13:11:47

You have a good memory I would love another but have decided that we want to wait until the end of the year before we start trying.

it certainly wouldn't cause a train smash - I was more thinking along the lines of should I be behaving responsibly, i.e no drinking etc in case?

happymerryberries Wed 06-Apr-05 13:15:19

It might be a good idea just in case!

Dont worry too much about the effect of the pill on the possible babe. there is little evidence if ill effects.

ButtonMoon Wed 06-Apr-05 13:16:44

A long time ago I forgot to take two pills and had upset stomach for a time in that cycle too. Then back up contraception failed, so i went to A&E for emergency contraception and the doc almost laughed at me and told me to buy a lottery ticket as I had more chance of winning the jackpot that week than being pregnant. On the other hand I know someone who DID not want children EVER and they missed one pill and nine months later...............

dejags Wed 06-Apr-05 13:17:14

thanks HMB - I organise everything in my life to the nth degree, I could never have imagined being so haphazard with something as important as birth control a few years back.

I am not a big drinker but do take high dose evening primrose oil which is contraindicated in pregnancy - I'll give it a skip until AF appears in case.

happymerryberries Wed 06-Apr-05 13:17:34

I does tend to depend on how fertile you are!

dejags Wed 06-Apr-05 13:18:50

buttonmoon, I had a vague recollection of a GP saying something similar to me years and years ago. Just thought I'd make double certain

Titania Wed 06-Apr-05 13:19:08

and the fact that forgetting them at that sort of time in your cycle might mean that you ovulate???

dejags Wed 06-Apr-05 13:20:10

difficult to say HMB - took 14 months to conceive DS1, took less than one month to conceive DS2?

I must make more of an effort to get it right from next month onwards - I can't imagine it's very good for my body to be messing around with hormones etc.

Titania Wed 06-Apr-05 13:21:59

don't you have to run 2 packs together as well if you miss a pill in the last week of them? I think i had to a few times

happymerryberries Wed 06-Apr-05 13:23:09

People tend to think that the worst pills to miss are the ones over the time when you would ovulate (14 days or so after the first day of your period). In fact the worst ones to miss are the ones at either end of the pach. Making the pill free period longer will increase the likelyhood to ovulation happening IYSWIM.

that said any pill missed can do it, if you unlucky/ lucky (depending on your wishes) enough.

Don't worry too much about the effect on your body. But missing them can get you into bad habbits!

dejags Wed 06-Apr-05 13:23:35

thanks Titania - I will look into this, I thing you may well be right.

On a serious note I dont think DH would be best pleased if I was pg - we have only just got back to sleeping through the night after DS2.

dejags Wed 06-Apr-05 13:29:38

can anybody else advise on doubling up on my packet of pills because of this?

dejags Wed 06-Apr-05 14:30:07

bump?

Titania Wed 06-Apr-05 14:32:21

i have checked the leaflet on my old pill ive still got and it says you should run 2 packs together. what pill are you on? i think its the same for all combined pills

Titania Wed 06-Apr-05 14:37:15

does this help?

dejags Wed 06-Apr-05 14:39:57

Thanks Titania!

dejags Fri 08-Apr-05 20:43:04

Eeeeeeeeek!!! my boobs are sore. They have only ever been sore twice before?

What would happen if I was pregnant, didn't know and carried on taking the pill i.e. went straight onto the new pack without taking a break because I had missed 2 pills from the previous pack. Does taking the pill while you are pregnant affect the growing baby?

Panicking now - HELP

dejags Fri 08-Apr-05 20:48:36

bump

pinkdiamond Fri 08-Apr-05 20:50:43

Message withdrawn

WigWamBam Fri 08-Apr-05 20:51:40

I became pg while on the pill, and the midwives told me that the pill shouldn't harm the baby, as I stopped the minute I found I was pregnant. Don't stop taking it until you can confirm with a test that you are pregnant, though.

dejags Fri 08-Apr-05 20:55:18

clear as mud

today was the last pill in my current pack. I should be taking a break now for 7 days but because I missed 2 pills I wasn't going to take the seven day break, just continue with the next pack from tomorrow onward.

I could test on Monday as that's when my period is due. It's going to be a long 2 days...

HelloMama Fri 08-Apr-05 21:12:26

hi de-jags, I'm a family planning nurse so I can help you out if you need some advice. Don't worry too much about the first pill you missed. The second pill missed was the important one, mainly because of where it is in the pack, rather than the fact that you missed 2 pills. The others are right: you need to start taking the next pack of pills as soon as you finish this pack -no 7 day break this month. Ideally you would have needed to use condoms for 7 days after the forgotton pills. Again, I wouldn't worry too much about the first missed pill, but it was fairly important after the second one. However, if you don't have a 7 day break this month you should be covered (although I obviously can't guarantee this, I am pretty sure). Which pill do you take? Finally, don't panic about feeling pregnant already! The risk is extremely low. The only thing you need to be concerned about is if you don't have a bleed when you have a 7 day break next month, or if the bleed you have is very light or different from normal. Then you would need to get a preg test done. In the meantime, don't worry! HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now