Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

op sticks

(8 Posts)
krispytoast Mon 26-Jan-09 14:28:25

Can anyone tell me how many days you should get a positive dark line on? I've finally got a positive with these sticks after months of nothing! Then DP has had a terrible week - mother in hospital and really overworked and knackered. I've already had 2 days of dark line and managed to get DP to do the deed 4 times this week (miraculously!). Poor bloke would much rather have nodded off..

Haven't tested yet today but am worried that i still haven't ovulated and that all our good work (IYKWIM)is going to go to waste.... CAN'T face having to cajole the poor man into it again tonight!!

Any ideas? Will the line go faint again as soon as i ovulate? My temps are always all over the place so can't figure anything out there..

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 26-Jan-09 15:59:01

What are your periods like, are they regular or irregular?.

Make love when you both feel like it, not just around ovulation. Take the pressure off both of you, timing intercourse is a bad idea all round. It is all too easy as well to get the date wrong. Ovulation is not an exact science and it can occur earlier, later or not at all in any given cycle.

OPK's are beset with problems; it is certainly not unknown to get more than one positive result on an OPK. These kits assume that women have one rise in LH every month and that such a rise is immediately followed by ovulation. Both of those statements are simply not true. You can have a rise in LH and such a rise is not automatically followed by ovulation. You have seen this because you've had more than one positive result.

If your periods are irregular as well both this method and temp charting are not worth doing at all. You'd be better off having blood tests done to see what your hormone levels are like.

wasabipeanut Mon 26-Jan-09 16:00:21

I only get a positive on one day with mine - it varies from person to person. You are meant to ov 24-36 hours after getting a positive OPK but they aren't a perfect measure.

You have to remember that all they measure is LH which is released before you ovulate. However, if you are ill, stressed etc. you might not ov, in whoch case you'll get another burst of LH a few days later and your body will try again.

It sounds like you have covered your bases anyway! Sperm can easily hango around for 48 hours and longer.....

krispytoast Tue 27-Jan-09 11:57:28

I'm now on the *4th day* of a dark line on the op stick! What does this mean? Really confused! is this remotely normal? everything I read says the LH surge lasts up to 36 hours.

5 days ago (on CD 11) I had a scan at the gyno that showed a follicle on its way to popping an egg. Gyno said it was a size that indicated I should ovulate in the next 24-72 hours.

Anyone got any experience of this??

Thanks!

littlemiss26 Tue 27-Jan-09 13:59:44

have you done a pregnancy test? ovulation tests will turn up positive if you are pregnant too!

krispytoast Tue 27-Jan-09 15:02:49

What do you mean littlemiss26? Do you mean THIS cycle? How could that be if I'm only on CD 16?

V confused! Can you explain?

krispytoast Tue 27-Jan-09 16:45:51

Bump! Stop me obsessing please...! Stuck at home with toddler-with-a-cold

wasabipeanut Tue 27-Jan-09 19:29:32

Ov tests will turn positive when you're pg becaue LH and HCG are very similar at a molecular level.

Having said that it would be odd to get a run of positives for 4 days - you wouldn;t produce HCG from the 1st day of conception I don't think - not enough for an OPK test to pick up anyway.

When are you reading the OPK's? Within a minute or so of dipping them or longer?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now