Talk

Advanced search

Recurrent UTI's and Conceiving

(7 Posts)
Lynsy Tue 13-Jan-09 19:47:51

Hello

Just wanted to find out from anybody that suffers from recurrent UTI's whether they have any affect on your chances of getting pregnant. I have just returned from my gp and have my 4th uti in 3 months. After having lots of tests done (whiched showed nothing) I was put on a low dose of antibiotics for 3 months which I started taking a month ago - these obviously aren't helping. My DP and I are planning to start ttc again after my laparoscopy in a few weeks (we have already been trying for over a year but had to stop as I was found to have endometriosis), and don't want my urine infections to hinder our chances when we start trying again. I know all the right things to do, washing and going to the toilet before and after sex, but nothing seems to stop them from coming back.I suppose I am looking for a bit of hope really from other people they have suffered or do suffer from uti's and haven't had any problems getting pregnant because of it.

Thanks

Lynsy
x

PuzzleRocks Tue 13-Jan-09 21:12:16

Bumping for you.

PuzzleRocks Tue 13-Jan-09 21:12:17

Bumping for you.

2manychips Wed 14-Jan-09 18:25:24

Hi Lynsy, I've had recurrent UTIs for many years. Also had several tests and scans and they could not find a cause. I conceived my dd almost instantly (they told me throughout the pregnancy that I had UTIs)and after ttcing since May (I'm 38 which I think may have held things up a bit) I'm expecting my 2nd.

Lynsy Thu 15-Jan-09 20:09:06

Hi 2manychips

Thanks for sharing that with me and congratulations, I hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy.

Having waited so long to start trying again i just don't want this to reduce our chances at all, but from the response I have had, most people that suffer don't seem to have any problems falling pregnan, so once again thanks for replying.

Tabitha99 Mon 26-Sep-11 20:40:41

I suffered from UTIs for 12 years. I was on a daily dose of antibiotics, until I discovered D-Mannose. I even took it during my pregnancies when 2 courses of antibiotics did not work. It prevents and gets rid of UTIs. The powder form can be taken by kids.

I recently discovered that my prolapsed transverse colon was squashing my bladder and making it susceptible to UTIs (for 12 years!). I also had awful pressure in my lower abdomen when lying down at night. I was made worse by 2 pregnancies. My colon was compacted with hard stuff (lack of water and fiber) so I did 2 colon cleanses and I no longer get recurrent UTIs. (DO NOT DO CLEANSES WHILE PREGNANT, WAIT TIL NOT PREGNANT - can cause MISCARRIAGE.)

I had examinations and the red dye xray too - all clear. They never checked my colon, I don't think it's on the medical curriculum. But I found this book on Google giving details - it's under 'structural problems'. It may be squashing other organs too.

books.google.co.uk/books?id=I_KZnp4EDT8C&pg=PT520&lpg=PT520&dq=ripe+for+infection+urinary+tract+infections+prolapsed+transverse+colon&source=bl&ots=iqXIbzRCgW&sig=xpzANqG03EVvgr8t_6zaMW4yY3w&hl=en&ei=9NOATqmvKpS10QXJ-rG4CQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=ripe%20for%20infection%20urinary%20tract%20infections%20prolapsed%20transverse%20colon&f=false

2impatient Tue 27-Sep-11 17:12:56

I'm watching with interest. I get UTI's on average every 3/4 weeks and have had them (apart from a while when I was single) for the last 8 years. All I have been told is I have a "low leucocyte count".

Am now thinking about ttc and tbh it hadn't occured to me that the UTI's might be a problem.

Will be having a look at google now, thanks Tabitha...

Good luck Lynsy, let me knwo if you have any success xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now