Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Clear blue with conception indicator and when you use the test?

(6 Posts)
Hangingbellyofbabylon Mon 05-Jan-09 21:13:23

got a positive yesterday with a Tesco test but genuinely have no idea how pregnant I am - last period was november ish? Today I bought some of the clear blue digital with conception indicator and without reading the instructions properly - did the test late afternoon on a not very full bladder. The result was 'pregnant, 1-2 weeks' (post conception) - The instructions said if you don't do it first thing in the morning then the conception indicator could be inaccurate. Does this mean I could be more pregnant than indicated? How are the HCG levels affected throughout the day? I'm clutching at straws tbh, desperate to be a bit further along so out of the danger zone. I have had symptoms (falling asleep continously since the weekend before xmas) - what do you reckon? how pregnant am I? Well, I guess I'll find out in the morning with the other test...

RuDiegetheRedNosedReinDiege Mon 05-Jan-09 21:30:34

Just a word of warning about the conception indicator. They are very much a guide only, based on average hcg levels at certain points post-conception. Medical/scientific advice is never to date a pregnancy using HCG levels (my BIL works in an NHS lab that deals with a lot of HCG bloods, and says that the levels for the average say 5 week pregnancy vary so much they themselves are starting to refuse to take samples before 6 weeks post LMP; even after then the levels vary remarkably between women who are technically the same weeks pregnant. My sister who's a midiwfe says that the conception indictaor has caused them real problems, with women worried if the result doesn't rise after a week or so - even being used to determine paternity by some women apparently grin
So yes, will be interesting to see what tomorrow's test brings, but I really would take it all with a pinch of salt until you get your dating scan. From one who has been there...blush

MrsHappy Mon 05-Jan-09 21:32:00

Yes you could be a bit further along.
HCG is most concentrated first thing in the morning and wee will be weaker later in the day.
I reckon you'll get 2-3 weeks with your test tomorrow. (Just a guess, BTW, there is no science to that bit of my answer!)

MrsHappy Mon 05-Jan-09 21:34:29

Diege has a point there re the HCG levels.
For example at 5.5 weeks the normal range is anything from 1080 to tens of thousands. Tis all very variable...

Hangingbellyofbabylon Mon 05-Jan-09 22:08:54

Hmm,it's not very scientific is it?! grin - really just a marketing ploy for all of us desperados out there. I'll let you know how I get on in the morning.

Hangingbellyofbabylon Tue 06-Jan-09 10:29:59

well, still 1-2 weeks this morning so I guess not as far along as I thought. still cool to see that positive though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now