Talk

Advanced search

Question about frozen sperm

(6 Posts)
RegularPoster Thu 24-Mar-05 21:39:12

Anyone know?

If we have DH's sperm frozen, and we decide to use it to try to conceive, can you have Artificial Insemination (eg just a turkey baster type affair) or does it have to be more complicated than that

I could ask consultant, but as we're not planning at the moment (DH is against it) but I don't want to rule out the thought I'd like to know what we might be in for

munz Thu 31-Mar-05 09:00:53

don't know hon, have a chat to ur doctor would prob be the first course of action. didn't want to leave this thread up answered as it were.

charellie Thu 31-Mar-05 14:00:19

The best advice I can give is to phone one of the IVF clinics. You can get a complete list of the clincs and their telephone numbers from the HFEA. www.hfea.gov.uk. Your can speak to them anonymously so it should'nt upset you dh.

I think what you are after is possible. I believe they syringe the sperm near the fallopian tubes but not too sure.

Hope this helps

DelGirl Sat 02-Apr-05 09:07:16

Hi regpost - had to have DH sperm frozen as he was having chemo. I had to have hormone injections to get me ready as it were so they could do the insemination at just the right time. Depending on your own cycle, they may just monitor you, possibly with scans and then when they think you're most likely to ovulate, will thaw the sperm and just place it in the vagina using a small catheter. The other method is that they thaw the sperm and clean it and place it directly into the uterus. I'm not explaining myself very well am I? Can I ask why your DH needs to have his sperm frozen as depending on that, there may be a different answer.

Twiglett Sun 03-Apr-05 18:24:10

Thanks all for responses

Delgirl the sperm is already frozen - medical reasons - but it costs us to keep it on ice every year, don't want to rule out having another child but to be honest if it was a case of very invasive procedures I don't think I'd go for it, so was wondering if it was worth paying again for the next few years until I definitely know I don't want, if that makes sense?

Twiglett Sun 03-Apr-05 18:24:33

oh bugger - me and anonymity don't quite work do we?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now