Talk

Advanced search

How soon does ovulation occur after delivery if BF exclusively?

(19 Posts)
bubble99 Thu 24-Mar-05 20:19:03

I realise that everyone is different but I'm wondering if anyone remembers when they got their first AF whilst BF exclusively? I'm absolutely desperate to conceive again, Mr Bubble is too but thinks we've got loads of time. After reading some of your inspiring "Geriatric Conception" stories you've reassured me to some extent but I'd like to know how soon I can expect to ovulate.

dinny Thu 24-Mar-05 20:20:43

Bubble99, still haven't and ds nearly 7 months. Not sure what the usual timeframe is...

sweetkitty Thu 24-Mar-05 20:20:57

Got mine 4 weeks after post birth bleed stopped was gutted thought I wouldn't get a visit from AF for a while, don't know if I'm ovulating or not but have regular AF every month DD exclusively BF until nearly 6 months.

dinny Thu 24-Mar-05 20:22:18

is it linked to night feeds? ds still feeds all nght, fwiw.

pupuce Thu 24-Mar-05 20:23:31

How long is a stick.... it varies hugely from woman to woman.... I think if you BF at night it is very unlikely....
I got my periods back when DD was 11 months old.... but I know others for whom it was back at 3 months...

Elvis Thu 24-Mar-05 20:24:44

Mine has just arrived 13 months after ds3's arrival. I BFd exclusively for about 10 months, now only feeding morning and night.

dinny Thu 24-Mar-05 20:25:25

fab not having them, IMO. will be a shocker to have them back (if ds ever stops guzzling at night )

mummytosteven Thu 24-Mar-05 20:32:22

my friend who is bfing has just got her first period at about 12 months (a few days after she cut from 3 to 2 night feeds) interestingly so maybe there is some connection with night feeds.

vickiyumyum Thu 24-Mar-05 20:34:17

Hi i'm a student midwife and i just looked it up in my midwifery textbook.
here goes it says:
the time taken for return of ovulation is directly related to suckling frequency, intensity and duration, the maintenance of nigh time feeds and the introduction of supplementary food.
so basically for as long as you are fully breatsfeeding, until your baby is weaned you may not ovulate, although this is not full proof as a method of contraception and many people have conceived the first time the woman ovulated because obviously the ovulation occurs before her first period arrives.
hope that helps

Twiglett Thu 24-Mar-05 20:34:27

I bf exclusively till 25 weeks, kept bf till a week ago (10.5 months), periods came back month 9

I bf DS till 3.5 months and periods didn't come back till month 8

I really don't think anyone can tell you bubble

pupuce Thu 24-Mar-05 20:34:32

I have to say though that DD slet through the night (10Pm to 7AM) at 6 weeks.... and it still had no periods until she was 11 months old.

NotQuiteCockney Thu 24-Mar-05 20:36:26

A friend who does exclusive BF got hers back at 6 weeks, after each baby. Mine took 7 months last time. It really varies.

bubble99 Thu 24-Mar-05 20:55:09

It sounds as if it comes down to a choice between continuing to BF Elijah exclusively or stop or supplement with formula if I want to conceive. After the truly horrendous birth the poor little lad had it seems so unfair for him (and me) to miss out on BF. It would be better if I give my body time to recover from the CS anyway I s'pose.

pupuce Thu 24-Mar-05 21:01:35

Bubble - I think it is a wise comment you make. Why don't you bgive yourself 3 months and see how things are then? You can then opt to mix feed, your body will have recovered and your hormones might be more settled.

Gem13 Thu 24-Mar-05 21:04:24

5 months both times.

DS slept through the night from 9 weeks.. DD slept through the night, well, waking only once a couple of times a week, from about 11 months.

I thought it was linked to sleeping through so it seemed a bit unfair really.

HUNKERMUNKER Thu 24-Mar-05 21:08:33

AF showed up when DS was six months and nine days old.

There's no guarantee your AF will immediately you stop bfeeding anyway, Bubble.

Hugs, honey - have been thinking of you so much xxxxxx

HUNKERMUNKER Thu 24-Mar-05 21:09:28

your AF will return immediately...obviously!

bubble99 Thu 24-Mar-05 21:14:53

Thanks pupuce. Wish I'd had you with me at Elijah's birth/Bo's stillbirth. I need some help with a vent but I'll post it on "Miscarriage/Bereavement as it's the more appropriate forum.

pupuce Thu 24-Mar-05 21:16:38

Do... i'll go there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now