Talk

Advanced search

Question about pregnancy test results

(13 Posts)
emilygrace Sun 20-Mar-05 22:32:49

Can anyone tell me....what does it mean if you do a pregnancy test and you get a very faint line instead of a dark one? Does it mean that you have a low level of whatever hormone they test for? Does that mean you are more likely to have a miscarriage? Or is it possibly a false positive? Does it depend on the brand of test?

I am CD33 and got this result this morning so don't know what to think. I'm usually very regular 28 days cycles but wasnt woried being late of it as I'm breast feeding.....and have been using contraception! Am I just in denial / shock as this wasn't planned.....

pinkdiamond Sun 20-Mar-05 22:35:15

Message withdrawn

pinkdiamond Sun 20-Mar-05 22:36:40

Message withdrawn

HUNKERMUNKER Sun 20-Mar-05 22:36:54

AFAIK, you can have a false negative, but not a false positive - you're pregnant honey! How old is your baby?

emilygrace Sun 20-Mar-05 22:44:00

Pink diamond - I waited 5 mins like it said but the line was very faint.

Thanks for the congrats - I don't know how to feel ...my baby is only 9 months and we weren't planning any more. I know it sounds a bit stupid...but if I am pregnant I don't know how it happened....we are using condoms AND I'm BF AND I'm over 40. Surely one of these things alone should be enough to stop conception let alone all three?????? And did I mention that we hardly EVER seem to BD as totally exhauted due to advanced age and non-sleeping baby????

emilygrace Sun 20-Mar-05 22:46:19

PD - sorry just spotted you on the TTC thread saying your AF had come. Must seem really insensitive to you to be moaning about possible pregnancy......

pinkdiamond Sun 20-Mar-05 22:48:41

Message withdrawn

pinkdiamond Sun 20-Mar-05 22:50:55

Message withdrawn

emilygrace Sun 20-Mar-05 23:04:36

PD - Sorry to hear about the early miscarriage - I had one a few years ago and still remember how upset we both were.Made me very anxious during the next pregnancy.

Dh is surprisingly ok about the possibility, especially as he was definite about not wanting any more. Feels two kids are enough.

I have no signs of pregnancy, apart from late AF. Of course as BF boobs are funny anyway. And of course feel crampy like before AF. But you know how you never feel so sure that your period is coming any moment now as you do when you are up the duff.......

pinkdiamond Sun 20-Mar-05 23:12:32

Message withdrawn

emilygrace Sun 20-Mar-05 23:14:10

Thanks PD

Sarahx2005 Mon 11-Apr-05 10:10:00

Hi,
You can get false positive results - my doctor told me that it's rare but there are several things that can 'contaminate' a pregnancy test and it's best to do another a couple of days later. You can also get postive results that a few days later turn negative as many pregnancy result in early miscarraiges and most women don't know that they've even been pregnant!
I hope that this all works out for you though.
All the best - Sarah xx

Nemo1977 Mon 11-Apr-05 10:12:29

mm u cant get false pos but u can get evaporation lines etc...also i think some contraception can intefer....But if u get a faint pos it just means u have tested early but have just seen date of thread so u will bviously know by now..lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now