Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Coming off the pill with PCOS - but supposedly under control? Please advise

(9 Posts)
Blinglovin Wed 05-Nov-08 10:50:41

I plan to come off the pill next year around about my wedding. Only reason I haven't already is that as a teenager with PCOS I had the most irregular and awful periods, and frankly, I'm not willing to ruin my entire wedding and honeymoon (shallow, I know).

So, I am going to be on two weeks before the wedding and then again, two weeks after - if i stay on the pill. my question is should i come off two weeks before? Does coming off have any negative side affects that might impact me in the weeks leading up to the wedding. From what I have read, a lot of people actually get pregnant immediately after stopping the pill as that's when their hormones are the most regulated, so coming off before the wedding will be great ... maybe a honeymoon baby?! grin.

Any comments or advice gratefully received.

blondie80 Wed 05-Nov-08 12:18:56

i came off the pill to ttc about 18mts ago, there were no immeadiate side effects, but i put on loads of weight and got loads of spots, (face, neck & back), i never had spots even as a teenager, anyway, hadn't conceived for a year, had gained 2stone, so went to the docs, have been diagnosed with pcos, and am on clomid to help conception.

you might be lucky and concieve straight away, but the pill seems to mask the effects of pcos.

good luck. x

LadyMuck Wed 05-Nov-08 12:20:47

I would personally wait until after the wedding as the one thing about PCOS is that it can be unpredictable. And certainly your hormones etc are likely to be anything other than noraml around your wedding anyway.

Blinglovin Wed 05-Nov-08 14:34:07

Mmmm... I think you're both probably right, thanks. I just kind of like the idea of a honeymoon baby! grin. And I figure if we're not getting lots of action then, when will we?! gringrin

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 05-Nov-08 14:39:20

Hi,

The pill can mask symptoms of any underlying problem especially with PCOS. Some PCOSers do require medical assistance and treatment in order to conceive; ovulation is certainly affected if PCOS is an issue.

I would try to stay within the correct weight range for your height as excess pounds can exacerbate PCOS symptoms.

I would come off the pill post wedding. As mentioned above you may well need help in order to conceive; if you start actively ttc I would seek medical help sooner rather than later as you already have a diagnosis.

You may find Verity's website helpful as well:-

www.verity-pcos.org.uk

Blinglovin Wed 05-Nov-08 14:42:26

Oh, the pill definitely controls the symptons, that's undeniable. Although the gynae I saw last year for something unrelated assured me that my womb and uterus are looking in excellent shape. But the main sympton for me as a young woman was very very erratic periods and very very heavy periods when they did turn up - and the pill certainly sorts that out!

Am in process of losing weight for this exact reason. Long way to go, but am trying.

The main reason we're coming off the pill so soon to the wedding is that I believe we will most likely need help, so the sooner we stand up and start trying, the sooner we'll get help. That's my theory. But, I've also been told by lots of people that if you are going to conceive easily and naturally with PCOS, it's often the month after you come off the pill that it's most likely to happen.

LadyMuck Wed 05-Nov-08 14:59:35

I've also heard that you have most chance of conceiving straight off - but I don't think that timing that for your wedding is the best moment as equally a stressful time is likely to affect your cycle too. So there is a risk that coming off the pill close to your wedding cancels out the increased chance of conception in that first month iyswim. Personally I would use your best shot at pg at a moment when you're not stressed with a wedding.

But I guess a lot depends on what your usual cycle is and how long you have been on the pill. I guess my concern is that unless you have taken breaks previously you can at best guess what will happen when you do stop the pill. Having a lengthy and heavy period during wedding and honeymoon wouldn't be fun.

Moonlit Wed 05-Nov-08 15:45:22

I have been on a complete roller coaster with PCOS. I personally would not recommend coming off the pill (dianette?) before your wedding. Also my GP told me to wait three months after coming off dianette before TTC.

As soon as I stopped dianette I got spotty, hairy and fat. So I went on the Atkins and the PCOS symptoms reduced and I took folic acid and conceived my DD. It has taken 2 years to conceive again. But again I manged to conceive after knuckling down and loosing 2.5 stone in total.

I agree PCOS IS BLOODY UNPREDICTABLE!!!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Ade77 Fri 27-Feb-09 11:47:00

Hi Moonlit, did your pcos symptoms reduce dramaticaly with the weight loss? I have been on Dianette for over a year this time, for pcos and want to come off it next month to ttc but i'm terrified of my symptoms getting out of control again like they did the last time I came off it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: