Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is homebirth an option after c section?

(11 Posts)
Payney Tue 08-Mar-05 13:17:30

I had a c section with my ds 2 years ago but I had to stay in the hospital due to an infection and as a result I am petrified of the place now! I really would like to have a homebirth but have been told by well-meaning friends that they wouldn't allow it "in case". Is this true - am I an automatic no-no? Also, I was induced last time but would prefer not to be next time - can I refuse to be induced? Obviously, the welfare of the baby is the priority but I had such horrible p/n/d after the birth of my first that I really want to avoid going down the same route.

bundle Tue 08-Mar-05 13:22:57

payney, i'm sure you will find someone who has gone down this route, but as a veteran of 2 c/s i would definitely opt for hospital (both were unplanned c/s), but this is of course entirely up to you. i think being informed and consulted about decision making is the key to a successful birth.

SoupDragon Tue 08-Mar-05 13:30:43

SueW knows someone who had a home waterbirth after several c-sections.

mummydreamer Tue 08-Mar-05 13:41:49

There are plenty of successful VBAC homebirth's - why not have an informal chat with an independent midwife who I'm sure will be able to advise you accordingly. She will also be able to talk you through positive post natal care which is also a crucial element of avoiding PND.

I don't know where you live but the Association of Independent Midwives (google it) would be able to help.

Whilst I do not advocate homebirth's at all costs, I do feel that it is all too easy to frighten women into opting for a medicalised birth even though the woman's individual situation would suggest that a homebirth would be safe.

Wishing you lots of luck with the birth anyway.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 08-Mar-05 14:02:18

I don't think the NHS will go for this, but an independant midwife might. It all depends on the reason for your initial section.

I had a section for DS1 (footling breech) and tried for a home VBAC with DS2. We didn't manage it (waters broke, his head wouldn't engage), but I don't regret trying.

Pidge Tue 08-Mar-05 14:34:11

Yes you can get this - but you will have to fight hard. I know someone who had provisional agreement from the head midwife (NHS) to have a homebirth after a caesarean, in the end she went to a birth centre instead. But it can be done if you really want it.

pinkmama Tue 08-Mar-05 15:38:03

Hi Payney, I too am hoping for a homebirth after c section. Have to say my section was with first, and I have since had a vbac, albeit with ventouse with 2nd, but hoping for this one at home. I saw the consultant last week about it and was scared to death by her, but since have had some really useful advice, have a look at the links on the thread I started after my appointment. Sorry not worked out links yet
http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk?topicid=1365&threadid=61593&stamp=050228202913

www.homebirth.org.uk have some useful info on their site about vbacs.

Think your area is quite relevant. I am lucky that I live in an area that is very homebirth friendly, some are not so and you may have more of a struggle. Good luck, let me know how you get on.

pinkmama Tue 08-Mar-05 15:43:49

Payney, just to add, my midwife is all for it and very supportive. I had to see the consultant because of guidelines, and it was her who was not so positive. However she did say it was up to me, and I didnt feel totally forced into hospital, she says I can change my mind up until the day.

Payney Tue 08-Mar-05 21:04:03

Thanks for all your messages - the reason I had my first c section was due to the fact that my ds had turned a fortnight before and due to his size at birth (9lb2) he wasn't able to get into a great position and so his head was getting pushed back. I went to 8cm dilated then went backwards! I was induced twice, and each time, the midwives said how they were really surprised that I was past my due date - I was the size of a house but the bump was still really high. The trouble is, I live 40 mins away from the nearest hospital so that isn't going to help my case! I had thought about labouring at home for as long as poss then going to my sister's when things get a bit closer as she is only 5 mins from the hospital. That way I can leave it till the last minute before going in. If I am induced again though, I will be in hospital from the start, so ideally, I would like to go into spontaneous labour so that I can stay out of there for as long as possible! Does anyone know if I can refuse to be induced? I know it sounds pathetic but being in the hospital after the birth did my head in for various reasons and I'm not keen do repeat the whole experience. I had such a fantastic pregnancy and was so excited but everything crashed once my ds was born. It's only now that I have come round to the idea of trying for another baby - I was so against it (as was my dh) for the first year and a half but now we're really excited about trying again.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 09-Mar-05 14:41:41

You can refuse to be induced, but you may well end up with a section. My midwife is anti-induction, particularly after a section, so I didn't go for any induction.

When the waters broke (at 40+5), after weeks of moderate contractions with no progress, and DS2's head still wouldn't engage, making a cord prolapse quite likely, we strolled into surgery for a very relaxed section.

I'd talk to a midwife, and get them to look over your notes, to find out what they think happened, and whether things are likely to repeat themselves.

How late were you? What induction methods were used? Was your baby over-cooked? (wrinkly skin etc?)

bundle Thu 10-Mar-05 10:09:53

could you organise a private room in the hospital? it was a real boon for me, and actually got some sleep 2nd time around

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now