Talk

Advanced search

pregnancy and antidepressants

(9 Posts)
EmilyD Mon 07-Mar-05 19:24:37

I am currently on 10mg low strength antidepressants but wanting to try for another baby. I am not due to come off until the latter part of this year so wondered if anyone else had been on antidepressants when they conceived and into pregnancy? Any advice or links to any other information surrounding this would be most helpful.

cp3 Mon 07-Mar-05 20:07:59

I concieved when on them with my second child. I just weaned myself off them over a month. No side effects for either of us and i was on 20mg. We are trying again and again i am weaning myself off them.

EmilyD Tue 08-Mar-05 08:35:06

did you wean yourself off them as soon as you knew you were pregnant or before you started to try?

mummytosteven Tue 08-Mar-05 08:39:30

I was briefly on ADs for a week before I found out I was PG, (it was an unplanned PG), stopped taking them cold turkey with no problems. I then had problems with depression/anxiety during PG, and started taking Prozac at 30 weeks PG.

I think it would be best if you discussed this with your GP/psych, as taking ADs during PG is something very much to be looked at on a case by case basis. The state of the research as such isn't enough for them to definitively say that ADs are 100% safe in PG or 100% dangerous, so it becomes a quality of life issue as to whether possible risks to a baby are outweighed by the risks to the mum of untreated depression.

The research that they have done on SSRIs tends to be quite encouraging tho that it is okay to take them during PG. As Prozac is the oldest of the SSRIs there is probably more research on that than the others.

best of luck

PiccadillyCircus Tue 08-Mar-05 08:45:42

I was taking antidepressants (Citroplex or some name like that) when I conceived. I was weaning myself off them anyway but stopped completely when I found out I was pregnant.

In my case this wasn't a good idea, but I think I tried to come off the ADs too soon anyway. I have recently been rediagnosed with depression and have been prescribed Prozac. I am currently 12 weeks pregnant and the psychiatrist I saw said that he felt it was better for me to be taking them.

As MummytoSteven says, there can't be any definitive research on the complete safeness of ADs in pregnancy but the doctor I saw said that Prozac is one of the ones where there has been most research.

I'd agree that you should talk to your doctor about it.

Worriedbev Tue 08-Mar-05 09:54:08

I am on antidepressents at the moment, the same ones as you I think, Ciprolmex or something and when I told the doctor I was planning a baby he said to carry on there would be no side effects with them. That is all I can say really. I have been on anti depressents for about 3 years now, tried different ones but only just started these ones about 2 weeks ago. Dont think you will have any problems.

Bev

EmilyD Tue 08-Mar-05 13:22:37

I am on 10mg of Ciprolmex also. I was worried about being on them and trying for a baby but at the same time worried if i came off them too soon that it wouldn't be a good idea.

I will go and have words with the doctor.

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments

Much appreciated.

trinityrocks Thu 10-Mar-05 17:08:16

I am on Flouxetine which is deemed safe to take when PG or BF

purpleturtle Thu 10-Mar-05 17:18:09

And yet, when i spoke to my GP about ttc while taking flouxetine, he was quite strongly against it. As someone said, these things are all case by case, so you do need to ask your GP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now