Talk

Advanced search

help

(4 Posts)
clare1980 Wed 02-Mar-05 22:04:20

me and dp are ttc. as silly as this sounds i dont really know when i am ovulating so could someone please explain it to me

babylily Thu 03-Mar-05 15:08:34

the rough guide is 14 days before the first day of your period (if you have a 28 day cycle), but it can happen approximately 12-16 days before,
There are ovulation predictor kits that you can buy from boots, or the body basal temperature kit (cheaper) where you take your temperature (orally!)from the first day of your cycle - the theory being that your temperature rises the day after ovulation. I used this and it did work, but it isn't a definitive detection method.
You're best time to conceive is usually is between 8 & 14 days after the first day of your period (before you ovulate).

Above all though....

Have fun and enjoy it!!

Expectantmum Thu 03-Mar-05 15:12:06

I was the same as you, I had absolutely no idea when I was ovulating as, after coming off the pill after 14 years, my cycle was all over the place, one month 28 days, the next nearly 40!! I invested in an ovulation test (I brought a Boots brand one which cost £17 for 5 days), found out I ovulated on day 18, and guess what? The very same month I fell pg and am now 23 weeks! I would say it is definitely worth the investment and we also had lots of fun in the meatime!

bonym Fri 04-Mar-05 10:01:39

Clare - keep an eye on your cervical mucus (discharge) - it will get progressively thinner and wetter as you approach ovulation and ultimately go very clear and stretchy like egg-white when you are actually ovulating. If you combine this with the temperature-taking you should be able to pinpoint ovulation pretty accurately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now