Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

How soon before seeking medical help?

(6 Posts)
mamaspice Sun 05-Oct-08 19:10:14

I am ttc dc2. Have been trying for about 6 months which I know is not long compared to others but AF arrived today and feeling very down.

During the last 3 months i have been using the ovulation sticks but for two months did not seem to ovulate at all. Last month I did ovulate but had lots of period type pain from the middle of the month. How long should you be trying before you go to the doctors? My doctor is quite a laid back type and don't want to feel like I am fussy or overreacting. On the other hand I don't feel like my body is working quite right. I am 35.

What do you think? Medical advice or Zita West book type thing first?

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 05-Oct-08 19:19:22

Hi mamaspice,

What are your periods like - have they become either more heavy, painful or irregular over time since birth of DS1?. If any of that applies please seek medical advice sooner rather than later.

In view of the above would have to say Doc over any Zita West type book; gynaes generally like to see women over 35 if they have been ttc for 6 months without success.

MadBadandDangeroustoKnow Sun 05-Oct-08 19:23:18

Yes, I think you should seek medical advice now (even if they say everything's fine and you just need to be patient, better to hear that now than wait longer and find things are more diffcult).

Good luck!

mamaspice Sun 05-Oct-08 19:31:09

Thanks for advice. Think I knew answer but did not want to accept there could be a problem.

Periods have been regular since DS1 but I think the period type pain between periods is happening more frequently. I will go to the docs. How do you find a gynae? Is it through referral from GP?

MadBadandDangeroustoKnow Sun 05-Oct-08 19:39:13

Oh. I didn't mean to suggest that there was a problem. Sorry if I've caused alarm.

What I was saying (ineptly) is that it's better to go for advice now. Chances are you'll be told there is no problem, but if there is a problem the sooner it's picked up the better. We had massive fertility problems - overcome, hooray - and in hindsight I wish I'd gone to the GP sooner (I waited for a year - gah!).

You can find a gynae privately at any time (I think), but your GP can refer you via the NHS if s/he thinks a specialist opinion is needed. Ours did various basic tests first and then we were referred to the hospital.

mamaspice Sun 05-Oct-08 19:58:46

Don't worry - you did not cause alarm - i am a natural worrier. I glad all your fertility problems were overcome. I found your advice reassuring.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: