Talk

Advanced search

EWCM when breastfeeding?

(3 Posts)
kayjayel Fri 26-Sep-08 09:44:35

DD is just 14 wks and with DS it took 9 mths for periods to come back (when he stopped night feeds) - she's still very frequent (2-3 hrs). I've just had what looks like fertile mucus - does anyone know whether you get this randomly when feeding, or does it herald periods starting again? I know some people do get them back when excl feeding, but did anyone notice fertile mucus and then not get periods? I'm very broody for more, so getting them back could lead to trouble!

mawbroon Fri 26-Sep-08 10:05:31

You can get fertile mucus as your body gears up to ovulate, but the hormone levels may not actully become high enough to release an egg because they are supressed by the breastfeeding hormones. Or they may get high enough to release an egg.

Unfortunately you have no way of knowing in advance when you see the EW whether you are going to ovulate or not. So, if you are not planning another one you need to treat it as if you are going to ovulate any time you see the EW.

Have you read "taking charge of your fertility" by Toni Weschler? It is a really good book and it would help you to understand what is going on.

HTH

kayjayel Fri 26-Sep-08 11:59:20

Thanks - I thought it was probably fluctuating hormones, but I couldn't remember getting it when BF my son before. I would like another, but had felt I don't have the choice for a while because of feeding, but if my periods came back early it would be quite tempting, so probably best if they don't so I don't make silly sleep deprived broody decisions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now