Talk

Advanced search

Ovulation test kits.. when to test

(2 Posts)
LullyMummaOfOne Wed 24-Sep-08 14:07:13

Hello, im looking for some advice on when to use my ovulation test sticks. My Cycle is 28/29 days so i guess i am meant to OV around cycle day 15. My question is...

1) do i start testing on CD 15 or leading up to it?

2) whe is the best time to test, in the morning or evening?

3) do i need to test the same time each day until i get a positive?

Sorry for all the questions but its my first time using these so im a unsure how it all works. Basicially i just want to know im OV as i had a MMC in July and i have just had my first propper period since.

It would be great to hear some helpful advice

TheUNITUBER Wed 24-Sep-08 14:46:12

1) Before. The LH surge preceeds ovulation. I would probably test from CD10 or 11, especially as it is within average limits to have a 16 day luteal phase (the period from ovulation to your period).

2. Afternoon. I seem to recall that your body produces lutenising hormone at night and it gets into your wee over the day. I tried to test at about 2 or 3 each afternoon after holding my pee for a few hours.

3. I think it is best to, yes.

One thing to bear in mind is that OPKs detect lutenising hormone (which triggers ovulation) but that it is possible to have an LH surge and then not to ovulate, so the kits do not confirm ovulation is taking place. Still, if you are fairly regular and have been pregnant before it is not a bad way to confirm that things are happening when you think they should.

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now