Talk

Advanced search

has anyone conceived whilst their DH/DP was on anti depressants?

(4 Posts)
gusting Wed 24-Sep-08 09:28:13

My DP has been suffering from depression for the last few months due to various issues.

We decided to start TTC for the first time a couple of months ago. This week however, I have finally, after a long time, persuaded him to go to our GP, who has prescribed him Citalopram.

I have read all about the effects of these types of drug on a man's fertility, and 2 tests which showed mens' sperm counts dropped to zero whilst on them. I have not mentioned any of this to my DP, because, in a typical male type of way, he was very very reluctant to admit he was depressed, to get help, and it is a huge thing for him to have even rung the doctor, never mind actually going and getting the tablets and starting to take them. My priority is getting him to feel better again. So, I expect I should just forget about babies for a while until he is off them.

But, out of interest, I wondered if anyone had any experience, good or bad, of this.Is it still possible that I could conceive whilst he is on them?

theultimatethreadkiller Wed 24-Sep-08 18:28:12

I am afraid that I don't know the answer, but I am on Citalopram myself and we are TTC. Good luck smile

taly Wed 24-Sep-08 18:34:38

I conceived whilst on anti depressants 3 years ago, so it is possible, it's just whether it would help your DP or not. As a female, getting pregnant was the best possible drug, I came off anti depressants slowly, and have not had to touch them since, which after 4 years of being on them is a pretty good result.
I couldn't advice you on male fertility etc, but a huge life changing event like having a baby may be what your DP needs to recover...or not...good luck!

theultimatethreadkiller Wed 24-Sep-08 18:41:48

Taly is right. My DH was coming off ADs when I got pregnant (it wasn't Citalopram), and he is BiPolar. Being a dad has helped him hugely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now