Talk

Advanced search

Endometriosis

(7 Posts)
hope2be Tue 16-Sep-08 21:00:15

I was wondering about people who have endometriosis. What are their symptoms? Has it beed difficult to get pregnant? Docs. have told me that I might have endometrisois because of my painfull periods, not to be nasty but I also have about 12 BM's the first day of my period. My p. cycle is about every 34 days. It also we have been trying to get preg. and it has been about 5 months. The only thing that helps with menstrul pain is to take BC pills. Sound like anyone?

Babytomsmum Wed 17-Sep-08 08:14:08

Hi there, I have endometriosis confirmed by laparoscopy - my symptoms were severe pain on the left side of my abdomen for about 4 days before my period, and then very painful periods. The pain on the left would subside once my period arrived. As far as I know one problem with diagnosing it is that you can have it very badly but not have much pain, depending on the location of the endometrial tissue, or you can have a mild case and it can be very painful, again, depending on where it is located. The British Endometriosis Society have a really helpful website which is very informative about all of this stuff. We did have problems getting pregnant the first time - we tried for 3 years and then had IUI as my ovaries have been damaged by the endometriosis (particularly the left one, hence the pain). Happily though, we got pregnant on the second round, and now have a lovely boy of 21 months. Even better (and much to our surprise and delight) having tried again for another baby for around 6 months, and thinking we would have to have IUI again, I have fallen pregnant naturally and am now 22 weeks pregnant! So although endometriosis does seem to sometimes make it difficult to conceive, it is not impossible and I wish you all the luck in the world. You might want to give it a little bit longer than 5 months, although obviously this is up to you and you will also want to perhaps think about your age (if you don't mind my saying so!). I am now 37 and was 35 when I got pregnant with the IUI. Don't leave it too long if you are thinking about fertility treatment. Anyway, sorry this is a bit long, and lots of luck once again P.S. One v good side effect of pregnancy is that your body does have a break from the endometriosis of course!

jem1969 Wed 17-Sep-08 08:42:18

I had endrometriosis but no symptoms at all, which is not uncommon. I had a laparoscopy etc as had been TTC for about 9 months and they found it but was told it was not too severe. Then after a few more months I had laser treatment to get rid of it and they said in fact it was very severe. I then fell PG the month after the treatment (after a total of 18 months TTC) and had DD last year. Am now PG again after not really trying at all! (am nearly 39 BTW).

Depending on your age I would get it looked at sooner rather than later. I had all my treatment done via my work private health insurance. I wasn't technically covered for 'fertility' issues but they was covered for endometriosis etc as it can cause lots of pain etc. I just didn't mention the fertility aspect...

Babytomsmum Wed 17-Sep-08 08:46:43

Hi again, yes I forgot to say I had two lots of laser treatment too, before the IUI, also through work health insurance as it came under gynaecological treament, rather than fertility treatment. Hope this helps.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 17-Sep-08 10:41:18

Hi,

Symptoms can include painful periods, pelvic pain, deep pain during sex and subfertility to name only but four.

I've had laser diathermy to remove my endometriosis deposits and in my case it also contributed to fertility problems.

Endometriosis is the second most common gynae problem seen in women after fibroids. Even today it can take an average of 7 years for a woman to be diagnosed - some GPs in particular are ignorant when it comes to endometriosis.

www.endo.org.uk is the website of Endometriosis UK which also campaigns to raise awareness. It has a lot of useful information on it and is thus well worth looking at. The more information you yourself have, the better equipped you are when it comes to making treatment decisions.

hope2be Thu 18-Sep-08 03:26:10

Yes, it seems to me that GPs just tell you that you have endo. because it is a easy explanation for p. pain. However, I had such painful p. I have fainted, my bodies way of removing myself from the pain.

wantingababylon Thu 18-Sep-08 22:35:51

I am waiting for an operative laparoscopy to laser away the endo. Been off the pill for about 4 years trying for babies, periods are awful for me sad - really bad pain in the pelvic area and bowel as apparently the endo tissue is sticking to organs and causing pain as well as other symptoms. Dreading what my consultant is going to tell me when i finally have the op, also on ivf waiting list with nhs but have been told it will be another 18 to 24 months for treatment! yikes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now