Talk

Advanced search

Egg donation. Has anyone done it?

(6 Posts)
Gingeme Sat 13-Sep-08 11:27:19

Hi I'm a Mum of 5 dc and I am having no more. I would like to donate eggs to give a lady a chance to be as happy as I am. I have been to a site for a clinic but have discovered I am half a stone overweight sad I am currently trying to lose weight anyway so not far off my goal.
Just wandered if anyone else has donated eggs and how did they find it?

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 13-Sep-08 15:14:52

According to the HFEA egg donors need to be 35 years of age or less. If you are over 35 they may not consider you to be suitable for donation.

www.hfea.gov.uk is the regulatory body and has information for donors.

www.ngdt.co.uk is another website that has lots of information re egg donation.

HeinzSight Sat 13-Sep-08 15:16:17

It's something I've often thought about, I'm 33, so haven't got long left! Goodness, that's a scary prospect isn't it, being too old for eggs to donate sad

It's very painful isn't it?

Gingeme Sat 13-Sep-08 20:02:09

Thanks. It would seem I'm not only too heavy I am also too old then sad

madcows Mon 15-Sep-08 10:10:25

Hi there,
I have been an egg donor - for my sister - and I now a very proud aunt. It is a great thing to do - and I can honestly say it didn't hurt at all. I had one day of weird emotions (the hormones) but that passed, and it wasn't painful at all. I wrote a diary on fertility friends, under the name of c l u c k c l u c k , which you might find useful if you want to know how it works. It is essentially the first half of an IVF cycle.

By the way, you can be older if you are a 'known donor' - as I was.

Good luck to anyone thinking of doing this!
madcows

Gingeme Mon 15-Sep-08 12:17:45

Ah thats good to know madcows. I know a lady who had her first lo through ivf and is considering trying again. I might have a chat with her about when the time comes if she has to use ivf again.
Well done on your lovely niece smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now