Talk

Advanced search

Hysterosalpingography next week....very,very, worried. Heard its really painful?

(23 Posts)
littleladylollipop Mon 08-Sep-08 23:31:28

Any (honest!) info gladly received!

pinkmook Tue 09-Sep-08 07:18:35

Is this a HYCosy? If so Ive had one and its just like period pains - not too bad honest smile

Bellie Tue 09-Sep-08 07:26:47

Hmm, I had one and I thought it was agony, but I guess everyone has their own pain thresholds. <sorry>
I would make sure that you take the painkillers prescribed and I also took neurofen an hour before hand too.

Afterwards the pain was negliable.

Bellie Tue 09-Sep-08 07:28:09

However I might add, I like to think that the pain was due to my tube being cleared out as 4 months later I was pg (after 18 cycles!) smile

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 09-Sep-08 07:39:25

Hycosy is a different procedure to HSG.

HSG is a tubal x-ray. It is a useful test to have done as it gives information not easily accessible by other methods. It basically should not be painful at all, particularly if the dye (about a teaspoonful) is injected slowly and carefully. You should be given painkillers prior to the procedure. Sanitary protection will be needed post procedure, that dye does come out.

spook Tue 09-Sep-08 07:45:39

I had one a month or so ago. I asked the doctor for some codeine and dosed up about an hour beforehand. To be honest the expectation was worse than the actual event! I'd been expecting the worse and in retrospect it really wasn't that bad-honestly! Take strong painkillers and try not to worry and tense up.
I bled for a day afterwards where they had "nicked" my cervix shock but it didn't hurt.
Good luck.

sadminster Tue 09-Sep-08 08:22:19

I tooke two ibuprofen an hour before my HSG & it was fine. there was a tiny pinch when they mess with your cervix & I felt w little dizzy & sick when I got up afterwards but no pian & very little cramping. The worst bit was the antibiotic (doxyclycline I think) which made me really sick.

Had a bit of spotting for a couple of days afterwards but that was all.

littleladylollipop Tue 09-Sep-08 19:00:43

Thanks! I've not been prescribed any painkillers so it's just nurofen for me. I'm going to brave it and not chicken out. Has to be done i guess!

alfiemama Tue 09-Sep-08 22:31:32

Hi littleladylollipop

Ive had this also, good luck hun I know it can be frightening, but honestly not that bad, just do what the others say and have some painkillers before the procedure and just think your another step closer, I also agree I have heard of it clearing out, so you never know.

Good luck

Wheelybug Tue 09-Sep-08 22:39:45

I took nurofen a bit before and didn't feel a thing - honest. Was a bit surprised. TBH the indignity was the worst part (but over v. quickly and well worth having done).

littleladylollipop Wed 10-Sep-08 13:04:53

thanks ladies! Yes Alfiemama, one step closer. If all ok that is!!!

xx

thanks all xx

littleladylollipop Fri 19-Sep-08 23:34:00

oh my lordy lord, it was an agonising expereince that i cried the whole way through!!!!

Two days later im sore and in pain.

I only hope it was worth it.

I thought i was being a wuss until i saw a postr on another site saying she had had 2 babies and it wasnt half as bad as this! Feel better that im not a complete wuss bag!

Different for everyone i guess..........usually my pain threshhold is high....

Bowddee Fri 19-Sep-08 23:37:11

My HSG was far worse than giving birth, particuarly when they had to twist me! Then I was told that the lady who'd gone in before me passed out!

Notice I didn't mention this before you had it. wink

NickiSue Fri 19-Sep-08 23:40:11

Sorry to hear this hun. Mine was horrific too - very painful through the experience and absolute sheer agony for 36hrs afterwards (I was later told it appeared I'd had a reaction to the dye).
That said - I did manage to get pg a while after (maybe it cleared out some debris).

I hope youre feeling better soon.

littleladylollipop Fri 19-Sep-08 23:43:24

Mmmmmmmmmmmm thanks for that- i wouldnt have gone in! My god it hurt, i wnted to scream when they fiddled bout, and OMG the indignity! Legs up in stirrups!!!!

I'm so tender, it hurts to cough! The antibiotics made me feel so poorly and im now constipated (sorry tmi) since taking them.

Took today off work as too sore and tender to work ( work with littlies so thought it best to take it easy!!!)

My poor, poor bits.

NickiSue Fri 19-Sep-08 23:45:39

Oh hun! Im mentally hugging you as three+ years on I can STILL feel it! I only just found this thread tonight and as reading through it when your post popped on. I wish it had gone differently but its done now so hopfully you'll get some decent luck no x

littleladylollipop Fri 19-Sep-08 23:46:05

so glad im not a wuss and it really is painful. I'm quite excited at the fact so many people have said they got preg after.....thought that was a myth?

not that i fee like Bding any time soon!!!!

littleladylollipop Fri 19-Sep-08 23:49:23

everytime i think about it my eyes water and i squirm!

I couldnt stop crying yesterday- it was so traumatic!

The docs and nurses were so so lovely, but it didnt help me with the pain. I was told that some women back out and leave. I know why now!!!! NEVER AGAIN!!!! EVER!!!!!

I've bled a little, but stopped now. Feel very tender and emotional too. V odd that.

How long was it before you felt right?

Bowddee Fri 19-Sep-08 23:52:07

The thought of it still makes me wince, 5yrs on. I would never go through it again. Having said that, I don't think it took too long to feel normal again.

littleladylollipop Sat 20-Sep-08 00:02:04

thnks bowddee!

Am sure I will feel better soon. Dh is being a star- think he feels terrible as the only test men have isnt unpleasent at all!!!!!!!!blush

NickiSue Sat 20-Sep-08 08:26:28

Give it afew days hun and you'll soon be feel better - just try to not dwell on it x

BEAUTlFUL Sat 20-Sep-08 08:38:22

I know it's completely different, but I cried, sobbed and SANG through my colcoscopy (lasering of cervix to remove precancerous cells) cos it was so horrible. the doctor actually bitched about me to the nurse while he was doing it!

not the same, but i didn't want you to think you were the only woman who had bawled her head off with her feet up in stirrups!

nomoremagnolia Sat 20-Sep-08 09:58:33

oh no LLL (I'm stalking you now wink) I've been given the 'choice' of having the same one (I think it's the same one - the op one rather than the x-ray one - to look for endo?) but doc said it's up to me and I was about to say ok but now....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now