Talk

Advanced search

Anybody conceived after having abnormal cervical cells removed?

(13 Posts)
krustywren Thu 04-Sep-08 19:48:27

Hello, I had a colposcopy on the 1st May this year to remove abnormal cells from my cervix following a dodgy smear in April. Just wondering if it's going to affect ttc at all? Had some slight fertility issues in the past and hoping this isn't going to hinder anything. The baby bug has bitten and I'm getting frustrated already, I'm only on the 3rd month of trying. Sorry for whingeing, I know a lots of you have been trying for much longer and I really shouldn't complain xxx

RaggedRobin Thu 04-Sep-08 20:54:30

i think colposcopy is fairly common. i know a few people who have had it (including myself!) and no-one i know has had any problems conceiving.

the only one thing ime that may have been affected by the colposcopy was that i didn't dilate with my first labour. i was given manual dilation by a doctor who asked if i'd had colposcopy. i think he was suggesting that scar tissue might have prevented me from dilating. however, i also have my own theory that they just induced me too early!

no problems dilating with second labour. good luck with conception!

Twiglett Thu 04-Sep-08 20:57:02

a colposcopy is the big microscope thing they use, the biopsy to remove the cells has absolutely no impact on fertility at all .. don't worry

TheOldestCat Thu 04-Sep-08 21:01:02

Another one who had a colposcopy for abnormal cells (and a loop excision I think it was called) and had no problems conceiving. Like RaggedRobin, I know many people who have had it and, as far as I know, none have had infertility issues.

When I had it done, the doc said it wouldn't affect fertility.

good luck!

expatinscotland Thu 04-Sep-08 21:01:44

i had loop electroexcision procedure on my cervix and have conceived 4 times since with no problems.

loop procedures on deep layers of tissue or widespread areas OR cone biopsy - removal of abnormal cells in hte endocervical canal (under general anaesthetic) can affect fertility, but colpo itself shouldn't affect it at all.

LittleMyDancing Thu 04-Sep-08 21:03:51

i had a Letz biopsy and have no problems conceiving. interesting what you say about dilating RaggedRobin - with DS I was induced too and ended up with emergency CS as I only dilated on one side.

wonder if that's why?

peacelily Thu 04-Sep-08 21:08:27

No! colposcopy and loop diathermy in 2002 and have conciebed twice since then.

best of luck! smile

Twiglett Thu 04-Sep-08 21:08:33

I had loop diathermy under GA and was reassured by consultant that it would have absolutely no affect on fertility at all

poppy34 Thu 04-Sep-08 21:12:26

yep - had 2 colposcopies in 1997 and about 2000 ...wasnt told (and hasnt proved to be) bar to conceiving..also think couple of friends who have been treated and not had an issue

krustywren Thu 04-Sep-08 21:18:29

Thanks ladies, when I had it done the nurse said it was fine to go ahead and try straight away and if I fell pregnant they could safely do a smear in the second trimester. My first smear after the procedure will be in Oct and I'm dreading it coming back abnormal again. I'm trying to bear in mind that as far as they are concerned I've been treated and should therefore be all healthy but pessimism has set in a bit too deep me thinks! I would also be terrified to be pregnant and not be able to have the horrible bits fried off again but I can't imagine stopping ttc now, it already feels like everyone around is falling pg but me and every month that passes I feel we're (all of us!) are a step closer to waving our positive sticks around. I'd love a summer baby too so I really want to fall preggers soon! Grrr to set backs and grrr to waiting!

poppy34 Thu 04-Sep-08 21:20:32

I can't imagine waiting a bit longer for smear will matter if you do fall pregnant (wishign you luck btw wink) -as they say you can do it second trimester and prob not end of world to wait til june or so

krustywren Thu 04-Sep-08 21:36:58

Thank you very much, good luck from me to you guys too. I feel your pain lol! this baby making lark isn't fun, the only enjoyment I've had so far is shyly lurking online and cracking up at all your hilarious posts and hearing my husband saying that having sex feels like 'work'! Fingers crossed for all of us

poppy34 Thu 04-Sep-08 22:09:29

tell your dh that work starts when they arrive..you've probably been told this before but try and take it easy , enjoy yourself and it'll happen

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now