Talk

Advanced search

Question about periods & fertility

(7 Posts)
musicmaker Sun 20-Feb-05 15:53:34

Hello

Since I started my periods and right up until last summer (my dd is almost 2) my periods would last up to 7 days with the 4 days in the middle very heavy and bang on every 28 days. I would usually bleed through two night towels during the night. They were never painful just long and heavy with slight cramps. I breastfed for 8 months and they returned a fews weeks after I stopped just like before!!!

But since last summer my periods have got so light at times they would stop and I would not bleed for most of the day. Now they only last 3-4 days and are so light with no cramps.

"What is she complaining about?" I hear you say.

Well I am just worried that I am less fertile or becoming infertile. Why is this happening? My GP said your body changes after children but my periods did not change until a whole 18 months.

Can anyone tell me if I am now less fertile?

Does your periods reflect your fertility?

I want to try for another baby soon but I an worried that I may not find it so easy this time.

Twiglett Sun 20-Feb-05 16:15:25

No your periods do not reflect your fertility .. at least not the blood loss or cramps

can I suggest you read Toni Weschler's taking charge of your fertility (which I think is worthwhile reading whether or not you want a child)

please try not to worry .. hormones take a while to settle down after birth .. as my consultant told me .. its like when you're pregnant they all get thrown up in the air and when they land they can land any which way

musicmaker Sun 20-Feb-05 16:39:27

hello twiglett

but do you not think its strange that nothing changed until 18 mths later?

because my periods are like clockwork and were the same for years, it just worred me.

but maybe your right.

Does Toni Weschler have a website?

thanks

Twiglett Sun 20-Feb-05 16:57:13

no, personally I don't but I would say if you are worried get it checked out by your doctor (I'm not medical just BTDT)

not aware of a website for toni weschler (her books on amazon though) .. but fertility friend uses the same charting techniques (do think the book is worth a read)

velcrobott Sun 20-Feb-05 17:58:48

I was regular clockwork.... and then adfter 2nd cikld period came backa fter 11 months.... were really regular and just before DD turned 3 (so some 20 months later) my periods totally stopped... I am FINALLY seeing consultant about this tomorrow (as it happens). However periods came back last month.... so had none for 6 weeks.... no clue what's going on.,... but if he tells me something useful I'll try to post it!

musicmaker Sun 20-Feb-05 21:02:09

Thank you - be very interested to hear what he has to say.

Every month I think, maybe its because Im pregnant then I go and buy a pregnancy test...

I had a period for 4 days after conceiving my daughter so I did not know until I missed my next period, I was about 7 + weeks. Thats why pregnancy is always in the back of my head.

I have just thougt that maybe my weight has something to do with it. I weigh less now than before I was pregnant.

velcrobott Mon 21-Feb-05 22:09:39

I think the answer to your ? is no....
I was told I have Premature Ovarian Failure (or premature menopause).... read it under TTC 118 I think!
You can have periods and not be fertile actually!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now