Talk

Advanced search

Question about smear tests and TTC

(7 Posts)
PeppermintPatty Fri 29-Aug-08 10:38:19

I haven't had a smear test since 2003, mainly because I was pregnant when my last one was due. And I haven't got round to having one since DD was born blush

We are now TTC. So can you have a smear test whilst TTC?
What if you're pregnant but don't know it yet and then have a smear, would this be bad?
Also it takes about 2 months for the results to come back...
I'm thinking of just putting of the smear until I've had second child (assuming I do get pregnant). What do you reckon?

Spotsanddots Fri 29-Aug-08 12:28:46

Hi there, just saw your thread. I was in the same situation as you. I put off my smear test for a year. We decided to try for a baby and then i began bleeding in between periods. I went to see the doctor and she was concerned, and did a smear test immediately. (i knew i was not pregnant as we hadnt tried yet, if you see what i mean)

The doctor was quite worried and so was i. The results came back within 2 weeks and were clear. It was cervical erosion, and nothing serious, just something to keep an eye on.

I was so relieved and realised how silly i had been not to have been tested earlier.

I am now 11 weeks pregnant and glad that i got tested.

The results seem to come through a lot quicker than they used to.

So book that appointment and tell the doctor that you are ttc and overdue a test and see what they say. Best of Luck

MichaelaS Fri 29-Aug-08 12:35:51

I would say to book in for a smear then discuss it with the nurse / doctor before actually having the smear.

Don't put it off - I had smears every couple of years and kept getting "boarderline" results. Then suddenly I got a positive CIN2 result which turned out to be CIN3 on further investigation, requiring treatment asap.

Luckily the treatment was all fine and the lab results came back saying no cancer present, but it was a close thing, apparently it takes about 10 years for the HPV infection to develop through CIN1, 2, 3 to cancer so if another smear had missed it I'm not sure I would have been so lucky. Even so, with the treatment I've had I'm at risk of early labour and other pregnancy complications.

If there is a risk by doing a smear in early pregnancy then I'm sure they won't advise doing one, but maybe there are ways around this when TTC and not yet definitely pregnant - maybe you could take a blood test to make sure on the day of the smear?

Please don't put it off - if you do develop cervical cancer then that's pretty much no more babies and a risk of full hysterectomy on the spot.

I was so glad I went for mine anyway!

PS hope this doesn't scare anyone, I just wanted to emphasise there are very serious consequences if you do get cervical cancer which are very eaily prevented by early detection and treatment at the pre-cancer stages.

Mammina Fri 29-Aug-08 13:45:53

Hi I was in the same situation as you too a couple of months back, I waited until I knew I wasn't pregnant that month, then booked an appt straight away - I guess it depends how far in advance you need to book at your clinic.

If you have to book well in advance, just mention on the phone when you're booking it. Worth doing it though, don't put it off, even if they tell you to hold off TTC for the month the smear it's done.

PeppermintPatty Fri 29-Aug-08 14:22:33

OK you've all convinced me and I've booked one now blush

MichaelaS Fri 29-Aug-08 16:34:39

Good luck, just imagine how good you will feel knowing it is all ok!

PeppermintPatty Fri 29-Aug-08 19:15:40

Thanks MichaelaS and everyone for your advice.
I discussed it with practice nurse and she said there's no prob having a smear whilst trying to conceive, glad I rang now smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now